NEED HELP FAST! forgot hopbag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pekabrewery

Reaction score
Ok, have a problem. I was on the phone when it was time to add the hops. I just got a CFC so using a hop bag is something i only done for a few times. Obviously I just added the hops without the bag and they are right now floating around in the kettle...

What should i do? proceed as normal and hope my CFC don't clog? dig out my IC and run to the store and get some ice?

It's boiling and will be boiling for another hour... I need some fast advice!

Are you referring to a coiled fermentation cooler? Hate to sound like a greenhorn,but some of these letter designations get confusing. I think you're referring to the immersion cooler. Just has one hose in,one hose out for cooling water.

unionrdr said:
Are you referring to a coiled fermentation cooler? Hate to sound like a greenhorn,but some of these letter designations get confusing. I think you're referring to the immersion cooler. Just has one hose in,one hose out for cooling water.

Counter flow chiller. Whole hops or pellets?

Can you use the hop bag to filter the wort going into the CFC?

If you've got an immersion chiller, that doesn't sound like a bad option, though.

Hmmm- are you using lots of leaf hops that will clog up your CFC? Do you have a pump? If you're gravity draining with pellet hops, you should be fine. Leaf hops will clog up the works, though, probably.

Do you have a ball valve, or siphon, etc, set up?

Thanks for fast response guys!

i got pellet hops and use gravity to feed the chiller, and a ball valve on the kettle. I was thinking of putting the hop bag over the dip tube but that would be pretty hard. I might just try it and then have the siphone ready to go if the normal set up clogs.

It all worked out good, just hoped for the best and ran everything thru the counterflow chiller.
No clogging!

Next time i'll remember the hop bag!

Thanks guys

I should've remembered that the hop pellets disintegrate into a grainy,almost corn meal consistency when hydrated. Not to mention the counter flow thing. I saw a vid on those. But yeah,the grains are small enough to pass through.

Back