Need Dry Hop Suggestion -Calypso Blonde IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spartangreen

Reaction score
I brewed a blonde 4 days ago with hops I've never heard of before. When its time I need a hop to dry hop with. Looking for suggestions. Do I even dry hop it all?
*This will be tasted at a homebrew competition on June 4th.

Blonde IPA
12 Gallons of wort was put into the fermenter after boil.

Recipe:
20lbs Pilsner
3lbs Vienna
1lb Wheat
1/4lb of Crystal 75
Wyeast 1272 American Ale II

60min 3oz of Denali (16% AA)
15min 1oz Calypso (14% AA)
5min 1oz Calypso (14% AA)
Flameout 1oz Calypso (14% AA)

FG was 1.057

On-Line Calculator says 85 IBU.

Denali Description says "Aroma: Juicy Fruit, Pineapple, Citrusy, Spicy"

Calypso Description says "Described as unlike any other hop that has come before it, Calypso offers brilliant flavor and aroma, covering a wide spectrum of specific descriptors: lemons, cherry blossoms, black pepper, bitter orange, mint, hints of tropical fruit and sappy, pronounced pear."

I feel like citra would be a good option that would pare well with your other hops. I just did a zombie dust clone that uses nothing but citra hops and it smells amazing. Hop for 5 days then bottle/keg.

Just curious what you used and how it turned out.

I recently made an IIPA with a lot of Mosaic (boil only), Calypso (boil + dry hop), and Azacca (boil + dry hop). I kegged tonight and I literally don't know how to describe it. Tropical fruit bomb is the best I can come up with. Although there is a possibility it will taste awful. I won't know for a week or so until it's carbed in the kg.

This turned out very good. I ended up dry hopping 4oz with Mosaic hops.
It did very well at the completion and the kegs were well received by a group of homebrews.
I've made it again since and was pleased.

Back