Need advice on fermentation temperature for an Irish Red Ale with LalBrew Nottingham.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J2W2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm brewing an Irish Red Ale in a few days with LalBrew Nottingham. I normally start fermentation at the lowest recommended temp for the yeast I'm using, then let it rise to the recommended high as it nears completion.

The LalBrew Nottingham has a crazy fermentation range of 50 - 72°F. Any suggestions on where to start and finish fermentation temps for an Irish Red Ale?

Thanks for your help!

I just tapped an Irish Dry Stout with the Nottingham and set my temp controller range to 65* low and 68* high. No off flavors, smooth and dry and my conclusion is other than investing in a nitrogen tap system, I wouldn’t change a thing.

97414772-D95B-444A-8A29-06B1205F671D.jpeg

If fermenter headspace is limited, keep it at 60-62 degrees F. if you don't want it to erupt and blow right up through the airlock.

I love Notty! Keep it between 58-60F start to finish and it's super clean! One pack rehydrated is all you will need. It's a beast, it'll chew through you beer in 2 days.

It sounds like I'll want to start it around 60F and maybe let it rise to room temp (68F right now) at the very end. My fridge controller lets the temperature fluctuate +/- 1 degree, so I think I'll start at 59. That will let it rise to 60, kick it down to 58, and so on.

Thanks for the advice!

With an aggressive yeast such as Nottingham, the yeast themselves may raise the internal fermentation temperature 7 or 8 degrees F. at the peak of fermentation, whereby a fermenter in an "atmosphere" maintained at 60 degrees may be factually fermenting at 67-68 degrees.

With an aggressive yeast such as Nottingham, the yeast themselves may raise the internal fermentation temperature 7 or 8 degrees F. at the peak of fermentation, whereby a fermenter in an "atmosphere" maintained at 60 degrees may be factually fermenting at 67-68 degrees.
I use an SS Brewtech Brew Bucket, which has a thermowell in it, so the temperature probe for my controller is measuring the internal fermentation temperature and lowering that to the desired temperature.

I use an SS Brewtech Brew Bucket, which has a thermowell in it, so the temperature probe for my controller is measuring the internal fermentation temperature and lowering that to the desired temperature.

You are all set then.

Back