Need Advice/Help on Where To Drill For A Tap Tower

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EMH5

Reaction score
Hi All,

I just bought a built-in refrigerator that I plan to convert into a kegerator - Avallon AFR151. I have checked the manual, called the company (made by Edgestar) and I have no definitive answer on whether there are coolant lines on the top or not. I unscrewed the temp control and it looks like there aren’t any coolant lines up the top. There is a temp control and light that is on the inside top of the fridge, front – temp control and light toward the back.

Has anyone come across this type of fridge? Can anyone offer any advice? Most likely there are not any coolant lines above the electrical components, right? I’m only guessing.

I have everything I need, tap tower, lines, keg etc, but what I need now is advice on where/how to drill for the tap tower. I included a few pics for reference below.

Eric

fridge1.jpg

fridge2.jpg

Temp Control1.jpg

You can do the old paste trick. Make a slurry of rubbing alcohol and corn starch and smear it all over the top (or wherever you want to drill) and plug the fridge in. The areas where coolant lines are (if any in that area) will dry out. Meaning, the slurry paste you smeared on will dry out over those lines.

Another method is to use a hole saw to remove a disk of metal on the top of the fridge VERY CAREFULLY so that you don't nick any coolant lines that may be under it. Then use an exacto knife to remove the insulation by hand and work around any coolant lines that may be there, and then cut the plastic liner by hand as well. You might have a coolant line running through your hole, but you can route your gas and serving lines around it, and you won't be able to see it when it's all put back together. You will also want to aluminum foil tape to seal out any moisture from the insulation so it doesn't mold.

http://www.instructables.com/id/2-tap-Cornelius-Kegerator/

This is the method on a different fridge, but the same principal applies.

On a similar note, any advice on how large to drill the hole for the tower? Would a larger hole provide more area for cold air to flow, or do I want to keep it only large enough to fit the copper pipe containing the beer line?

On a similar note, any advice on how large to drill the hole for the tower? Would a larger hole provide more area for cold air to flow, or do I want to keep it only large enough to fit the copper pipe containing the beer line?
Ehh, doesn't matter a whole helluva lot. However, I would leave yourself room to add a blower hose for cold air in case you run into foaming problems with lines in the tower getting warm. Or if you want to add insulation for the same reason.

Well, I tried the trick and it was inconclusive so I drilled. I hit a freaking coolant line. Who knows a refrigeration guy in MA/south shore?

Back