Need a good recipe using malt extract powder and real hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BadBanshee

Reaction score
Seems like a simple question but it's proving difficult getting an answer. Most recipes I see either make everything from scratch, i.e. grain + hops, or use ready wort.

I need a recipe where I'm using malt extract powder and hops (vacuum packed). I have some bananas too which I'm going to use to make half the wort. I'm gonna use 2 gallon size demijohns so 1 is going to be a standard pilsner and one is going to be a banana pilsner.

Any direction is appreciated.

Tomato soup stain on the bib of the pope's baby pet dragon. :rockin:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

There are a ton of recipes posted there- some are all-grain and labeled "AG" but quite a number of them are extract.

A pilsner is a lager, so that's a very difficult brew that requires strict temperature control. A banana lager sounds quite terrible to me, to be honest, so I'm not sure how to suggest a decent recipe unfortunately.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f82/

There are a ton of recipes posted there- some are all-grain and labeled "AG" but quite a number of them are extract.

A pilsner is a lager, so that's a very difficult brew that requires strict temperature control. A banana lager sounds quite terrible to me, to be honest, so I'm not sure how to suggest a decent recipe unfortunately.

I'm gonna do half banana and half without banana so I can compare afterwards.

Thanks for the link but even there the extract recipes seem to call for some grain. I thought such recipes were called a partial mash? Is it not possible to make beer using only DME, hops and yeast?

Just what Yoop said. Banana beer? Well, I think it took a while for hops to catch on, so...

Have you tasted Well's banana bread ale? It's not bad. There's something about the aroma of bananas that I think would compliment the aroma of hops so well. I dunno, I'm just experimenting. The larger the scope for things to go wrong the bigger the lesson OR discovery at the end I guess lol.

I'm gonna do half banana and half without banana so I can compare afterwards.

Thanks for the link but even there the extract recipes seem to call for some grain. I thought such recipes were called a partial mash? Is it not possible to make beer using only DME, hops and yeast?

It is very possible. The addition of some grain put in a muslin bag and steeped in your water before the addition of malt extract adds some of the more familiar malt tastes we are used to in our beers. But you certainly don't have to. What is holding you back when it comes to a few ounces of grain?

Interesting. Banana is usually described as an unwanted off flavor!

Northern Brewer lists the ingredients for all their recipes online. Just look at an extract kit that interests you, open the page, then open the additional information tab.

Ok I've looked at a few recipes and considering what I've got at home, I've come up with this. Tell me if anything looks weird:

To make 4.5 litres / 1 gallon:

100g porridge oats, toasted
5 ripe bananas sliced with skin on
500g DME Light (Spraymalt)
10g hops (Brewer's Gold)

I'm going to mash that for 30 minutes at 65 degrees C. I have a muslin sheet to tie the oats in during the mash, but I understand the hops get left behind?

Once cooled (and after checking SG) and in the carboy I'm going to add another 10g hops (I've got like 100grams to get through) and add the lager yeast (3.3g).

I'll leave it to ferment for 2 weeks. When there's 5 days left to go I'll add another 10g hops.

How does that sound?

Back