Need a fast, quaffable Blonde Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snarf7

Reaction score
Family visiting for the holidays, some of them are into craft beer, others not so much...so the latter needs an easily approachable, light, crisp option. Problem is they'll arrive next week so I need to brew something that can be fastracked...a week in fermentation, a week in the bottle, something like that? Love to hear your thoughts.

Note: I have limited equipment so this is a stove-top operation, I can do all-grain BIAB or a partial-mash with some extra light DME I have in stock. Cheers!

Windsor ale yeast is the fastest yeast I've ever seen, it can take the beer to final gravity in 36 hours or less. Just be aware that its attenuation is very low at only 55-60%. For that reason I would supplement any recipe using it with simple cane sugar to give it more to eat.

So, for quick simple and tasty recipe for this (for 5 gallons):

5 lb Light DME
1 lb cane sugar
1 oz Kent Goldings (60 minutes)
0.5 oz Kent Goldings (5 minutes)

Bring all that up to the boil as directed. You can use whatever hops you like. When cool, sprinkle a pack of Windsor ale yeast on top. Wait 3 days. Done. Package it up and enjoy.

With a recipe very similar to this one, I won a silver medal once... this was many years ago, but it was a very tasty beer to be sure. I should whip it together again sometime soon. I like to use American hops like Cascade but any hop will work, and EKG is perhaps most traditional for the style.

Cheers.

If you have any kveik available, i get to fg in 3-4days and the beer is drinkable right away. I just got a porter from grain to glass in 7 days.

Do a cream ale. 80% pale malt. 20% flaked corn. Target an OG around 1.050. Ue your favorite hops... citrusy works well. I've had good success with Lemondrop Hops. Hop to no more than 20-22 IBU. And I've tried many different kinds of yeast with 1056 being my favorite. Ferments out in about 7 days or less. Package, carbonate and serve.

The Cream Ale suggestion is very good. I typically use 75% 2 row standard from Rahr and 25 % Briess Flaked Brown rice. Mixed together with rice hulls. Mash at 148F. for 75 min. Recirculate and send off to the kettle. Use about 13-15 ibu of Hallertau for a 60 minute boil. Cool it down and ferment with US-05 at 64F
Good Luck

Last edited:
100% Pilsner
25-30 IBUs
OG: 1.050 / FG: 1.010 / 5.2% ABV / Nottingham ( fast, clean, crisp )
All Loral hops, but anything like Styrian Goldings, Hallertau Blanc/Mandarina/Saphir/Perle can work too, without popping too much

Back