Nectaron hops and beersmith

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mggray87

Reaction score
Why isn't nectaron pellets in beersmith to get an accurate recipe. Or I can input it myself but I don't know what to put in for the asked questions.

The only parameters that are important for brewing are %alpha and occasionally %beta acids. Of course they'll vary by each harvest year, grower, and location.

The %alpha is usually printed on the hop package.

The %beta is not used in recipe calculations, and often missing from the package. It may be found on the seller's or grower's website, although it's not all that important.

Or I can input it myself but I don't know what to put in for the asked questions.
Yes, you can just add any hops that are missing, or modify existing ones you have in stock, with their respective %AA.

Store hops in well sealed, original mylar or oxygen barrier bags in the freezer between uses. Vacuum sealing opened hop packages is best for keeping the hops as fresh as possible. But you could squeeze all the air out, and even purge them with N2 or CO2, when sealing.

Yes, you can just add any hops that are missing, or modify existing ones you have in stock, with their respective %AA.

Store hops in well sealed, original mylar or oxygen barrier bags in the freezer between uses. Vacuum sealing opened hop packages is best for keeping the hops as fresh as possible. But you could squeeze all the air out, and even purge them with N2 or CO2, when sealing.
Thanks. I plan to buy a vacuum sealer. I been wanting one for my bbq as well

Thanks. I plan to buy a vacuum sealer. I been wanting one for my bbq as well
Here's my Beersmith entry for the YVH Nectaron hops I bought a few months ago.

Screenshot from 2023-10-22 08-47-43.jpg

I *thnk* if you input date purchased on the inventory page, it auto calcs the hop storage index | loss due to age, no?

I *thnk* if you input date purchased on the inventory page, it auto calcs the hop storage index | loss due to age, no?
Not sure, but if so how would it account for storing at room temperature vs. in the fridge vs. in the freezer? And factory sealed vs. vacuum sealed vs. loose in a baggie?

I guess what I'm saying is there's far too many variables for such a simple calculation.

Afaik, and having used it since V1, there is no facility within the desktop or Android versions of Beersmith to establish the purchase date or any other relevant age data for purchased hops, never mind "auto-age" them...

Cheers!

Now I remember what I did. When hew hops came in, I used the hop notes section to note the date they came in. Then use the "Hop Age Tool" to periodically update manually for AA% for reduction.
So yes you are right, indeed I need to age my hops again but manually.

Not sure, but if so how would it account for storing at room temperature vs. in the fridge vs. in the freezer? And factory sealed vs. vacuum sealed vs. loose in a baggie?
Per Beersmith:
The hop storage index is the percent of hops lost in 6 months of storage at a constant temperature of 68 F (20 C).

When stored at lower temps, in the fridge, or better, in a freezer, that loss over time is further reduced.
In addition to cold/frozen storage, vacuum sealing or Nitrogen (or CO2) flushing also guard against deterioration. Oxygen being the culprit to avoid.

Back