hops (nectaron motueka riwaka) in tropical ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danicomix

Reaction score
Hello everyone I wanted to brew a tropical pale ale with nectaron, riwaka and motueka and wanted advice on how to dose them. I thought of doing a 15 min range, a 5 min one, a hop stand and a dh. in what proportions do you recommend the doses to prevent one from overpowering the other???? I also read that the riwaka is preferable to use only in hopstand and in dh...there could be motueka and nectaron at 15 min and 5 min and then all three at 0 min and in dh?? give me advice!!!
Thanks
Daniele

I’d skip the 15-minute addition altogether; it’s extra bother and it’s not going to give you anything you’re not getting from the 5. And I’d use twice as much Nectaron as anything else, but that’s just because I really like Nectaron. Really, I don’t think there are wrong answers here.

In my experience, none of those hops are overpowering. It's not like they need to compete with Galaxy for example. I'm particularly fond of Nectaron, so I'd do a 2:1:1 ratio with Nectaron in the lead. Nothing wrong with your hop schedule. A pale ale that I'd brew with that combination would have a hop schedule like this: .5oz of a bittering hop (Magnum, Warrior) at 60, maybe 1oz of Nectaron at 10, and 1oz of Riwaka and Motueka at 5 (to get around 40 ibu's). Then I'd do a whirlpool with 2oz Nectaron, 1oz Motueka, and 1oz Riwaka. I'd WP at 185 or 165 for 20 min depending on the ibu's from the boil additions. 185 if need a few more, 165 if the boil additions were enough.

Then I'd dry hop post ferm and soft crash with another 2oz Nectaron, 1oz Motueka, and 1oz of Riwaka. That should be a really good beer...

I’d skip the 15-minute addition altogether; it’s extra bother and it’s not going to give you anything you’re not getting from the 5. And I’d use twice as much Nectaron as anything else, but that’s just because I really like Nectaron. Really, I don’t think there are wrong answers here.
Thanks a lot!!!

In my experience, none of those hops are overpowering. It's not like they need to compete with Galaxy for example. I'm particularly fond of Nectaron, so I'd do a 2:1:1 ratio with Nectaron in the lead. Nothing wrong with your hop schedule. A pale ale that I'd brew with that combination would have a hop schedule like this: .5oz of a bittering hop (Magnum, Warrior) at 60, maybe 1oz of Nectaron at 10, and 1oz of Riwaka and Motueka at 5 (to get around 40 ibu's). Then I'd do a whirlpool with 2oz Nectaron, 1oz Motueka, and 1oz Riwaka. I'd WP at 185 or 165 for 20 min depending on the ibu's from the boil additions. 185 if need a few more, 165 if the boil additions were enough.

Then I'd dry hop post ferm and soft crash with another 2oz Nectaron, 1oz Motueka, and 1oz of Riwaka. That should be a really good beer...

Thanks a lot!
What do you think If I skip the 60 Min boil???
I was thinking for this hop.schedule:

23 g (6 IBU) — Motueka 5.4% — Boil — 15 min

23 g
(11 IBU) — Nectaron 9.4% — Boil — 15 min

28 g
(4 IBU) — Motueka 5.4% — Boil — 5 min

28 g
(6 IBU) — Nectaron 9.4% — Boil — 5 min

28 g
(2 IBU) — Riwaka 3.4% — Boil — 5 min

56 g
(4 IBU) — Nectaron 9.4% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 75 °C

28 g
(1 IBU) — Motueka 5.4% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 75 °C

28 g
(1 IBU) — Riwaka 3.4% — Aroma — 15 min hopstand @ 75 °C

56 g
— Nectaron 9.4% — Dry Hop — 3 days

28 g
— Motueka 5.4% — Dry Hop — 3 days

28 g
— Riwaka 3.4% — Dry Hop — 3 days

You can definitely skip the 60 minute addition. I just like that addition for pales and west coast IPAs so that I can push the flavor additions later in the boil and WP at a temp less than 170. But your hop schedule should make an excellent beer…

You can definitely skip the 60 minute addition. I just like that addition for pales and west coast IPAs so that I can push the flavor additions later in the boil and WP at a temp less than 170. But your hop schedule should make an excellent beer…
Thanks a lot for you suggest!!!!!!

Back