nearing 14 days in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

craiginho

Reaction score
my first batch is still in the primary carboy with very little signs of activity in the airlock. maybe one blurb every minute. was hoping to bottle this weekend. should i switch to a 2ndary or will it be ok to bottle? have not tested the gravity. it's and "english bitter."

this is one part i can't quite get my head around. brew day gravity was 1.039 @ 75 degrees. 12 days later it is 1.019 at 65 degrees. have read this section several times, but am still confused as to what it all means.

i was encouraged though 'cause it smelled good and tasted good too, albeit flat.

craiginho said:
this is one part i can't quite get my head around. brew day gravity was 1.039 @ 75 degrees. 12 days later it is 1.019 at 65 degrees. have read this section several times, but am still confused as to what it all means.

Gravity readings help to determine if fermentation is complete. If the gravity doesn't change over a few days then you will know that it is done. Also you can determine the ABV and ABW of your beer. Right now your beer would only be a 2.8% ABV so i highly doubt it is done.

what do you recommend? leaving it in the primary/siphoning to a secondary?

dipflop said:
Gravity readings help to determine if fermentation is complete. If the gravity doesn't change over a few days then you will know that it is done. Also you can determine the ABV and ABW of your beer. Right now your beer would only be a 2.8% ABV so i highly doubt it is done.

Latest posts

Back