NB petite orange extract kit, did they mess up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vidarien

Reaction score
So heres my question, I got the la petite orange extract kit from NB and im planning on brewing, and going over the recipe and such, and then I run into this....

1 oz Styrian Goldings (Celeia) 60 min

But heres the thing...the hops...are 1.4% AA. Even with a full boil piping hot...I don't think its going to bitter it at all. Did NB screw up here or am I going crazy?

According to a review on 11/24/14 you may not be the first or alone. That review mentions the same thing on the AA of the hops being 1.4%.

Give their customer support a call and see what is going on!

As a followup to this situation, I did talk to NB about it and explained my concern. They said this years harvest of St Golding produced an unusually low AA and agreed I may need to make adjustments.

I made the personal decision to use 1 oz Wiliamette 5% AA at 60 to achieve the desired effect of the recipe, seeing as its very close to St Golding Celeia in profile. I took the 1oz Celeia that came with the kit, seeing as it was only 1.4% AA, and used it as a flavoring hop at 30 min. I feel that this combo should really encapsulate the spirit of what they were trying to achieve here.

I just wanted to leave this update in case anyone runs into a similar issue and searches the board, like I did.

I hope that kit turns out well for you. It was my first kit from NB and I really loved the way it turned out. I added the orange peel and coriander seed per their suggestion and it turned out to be quite a yummy brew!

Back