NB nut brown ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WessB

Reaction score
Today I brewed a Northern Brewers nut brown ale extract kit. I used the Danstar nottingham dry yeast, also added an extra 8oz of corn sugar for the added alcohol........My question is this...the instructions with the kit say 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks bottle conditioning....is this really going to be ready for bottling in only 2 weeks? Once active fermantation starts I plan to let it ferment in a controlled 60 degree fridge. This is only my third batch but it's seems a little hard to believe it will be ready in only 2 weeks.....And you wanna call something dark, the wort is almost black, but that may lighten with fermentation.
Thanks

Wess

Most of my ales (and all of the lower gravity ones) are done in two weeks time or less brewing at various temps between 64 and 68....1 week at 70 F. So, maybe it might take a few extra days at 60. Use the airlock method.....wait until at least 60 seconds between bubbles in the airlock, or use a hydrometer reading on successive days....if no change, then done. It takes what it takes.

Wort color changes with fermentation lightens with fermentation, and darkens/clears again as complete....and color has nothing to do with the amount of fermentable sugars in it. A 1.030 mild can be black, and a 1.070 pale ale can be gold.

Thanks for the reply...I'll give it 2 weeks and see where it's at....my mention of the color being so dark was merely an observeation, not a concern...I really didn't expect it to be so dark, but it "is" only day 1. FWIW my OG read 1.050 @ 76 degrees

Wess

Back