NB Dead Ringer IPA Not Fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

keystoner

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was going to transfer my beer to the secondary today and dry hop, but I dont think it fermented right. I pitched the yeast for my dead ringer ipa from northern brewer a week ago today. I made the wort the night before and allowed it to cool to 78 f, as the instructions said, before adding the yeast the next day. It has now been a week and I am only seeing about a bubble a minute in the airlock. I thought fermentation would be more vigorous, but it literally barely bubbles at all. It has been like this all week. I should say I am using a cool-brewing fermentation cooler, which the top sometimes tends to lean onto the top of the airlock. The fermentation temperature has been perfect all week, steady between 64-70 f. The cause for concern is that the instructions state the following:

Beyond Brewing Day, Weeks 1-2
15. Active fermentation begins. Within approx. 48 hours of brewing day, active fermentation will begin-there will be a cap of foam on the surface of the beer, the SG as measured with a hydrometer will drop steadily, and you may see bubbles come through the fermentation lock. The optimum temperature for this beer is 60-72 f - move fermenter to a warmer or cooler spot as needed.

16. Active fermentation ends. Approx one week to two weeks after brewing day, active fermentation will end. When the cap of foam falls back into the new beer, bubbling in the fermentation lock slows down or stops and the SG as measured with a hydrometer is stable, proceed to the next step.

17. Transfer beer to secondary fermenter.

18. Allow the beer to condition in the secondary fermenter for 2-4 weeks before proceeding to next step. Timing now is somewhat flexible.

19. Add the dry hops.

Did my beer not ferment properly this week? There was never a cap of foam, like there was with my first batch. Like I said, it has been a steady one bubble per minute since it started fermenting.

Hey all,
I was going to transfer my beer to the secondary today and dry hop, but I dont think it fermented right. I pitched the yeast for my dead ringer ipa from northern brewer a week ago today. I made the wort the night before and allowed it to cool to 78 f, as the instructions said, before adding the yeast the next day. It has now been a week and I am only seeing about a bubble a minute in the airlock. I thought fermentation would be more vigorous, but it literally barely bubbles at all. It has been like this all week. I should say I am using a cool-brewing fermentation cooler, which the top sometimes tends to lean onto the top of the airlock. The fermentation temperature has been perfect all week, steady between 64-70 f. The cause for concern is that the instructions state the following:

Beyond Brewing Day, Weeks 1-2
15. Active fermentation begins. Within approx. 48 hours of brewing day, active fermentation will begin-there will be a cap of foam on the surface of the beer, the SG as measured with a hydrometer will drop steadily, and you may see bubbles come through the fermentation lock. The optimum temperature for this beer is 60-72 f - move fermenter to a warmer or cooler spot as needed.

16. Active fermentation ends. Approx one week to two weeks after brewing day, active fermentation will end. When the cap of foam falls back into the new beer, bubbling in the fermentation lock slows down or stops and the SG as measured with a hydrometer is stable, proceed to the next step.

17. Transfer beer to secondary fermenter.

18. Allow the beer to condition in the secondary fermenter for 2-4 weeks before proceeding to next step. Timing now is somewhat flexible.

19. Add the dry hops.

Did my beer not ferment properly this week? There was never a cap of foam, like there was with my first batch. Like I said, it has been a steady one bubble per minute since it started fermenting.

Actually, all you really need to know is in step #16:

You actually just bolded the wrong part. Check the SG today. Check it in three days. If it's the same, it's finished.

is that normal for it to not be bubbling though?

Yes. It may bubble, it might not. Sometimes barometric pressure changes make it bubble, or a change in temperature. Sometimes there is a minute air leak around the airlock, so it may never bubble.

A hydrometer is the only tool to know if the beer is finished.

ok thanks a lot. i think im just gonna forget about the secondary for now and just dry hop in the primary so i can use my carboy for my batch im brewing tomorrow.

Hello Keystoner,

I'm pretty new to this forum. However, I've been home brewing for a little over a year now. I have brewed several NB kits, and have had very good results. You should have had a fairly active initial reaction once you pitched your yeast.

From what you have shared sounds to me like you didn't have enough oxygen in your wort when you pitched. The yeast needs oxygen / air in suspension in order to start fermentation. Or, your yeast was dead. "Pardon the pun"! Likely not the case as long as the yeast was stored cool and dry, or if you used liquid Wyeast it was refrigerated until you were ready to pitch.

If you have to let your wort sit over nite to cool, then it is imperative that you aerate your wort properly before you pitch the yeast.

Generally what works for me in Lew of an aerator (basically a fish tank air bubbler and aerator stone.) Once I have cooled the wort in a ice bath in my sink I then rack it to my primary. I cap off the primary and give it a good shaking and get it all mixed up.

If you are using dry yeast let it settle down a little first, otherwise if you use liquid just pitch it in right away.

So, What to do now. You may have already gotten an answer. The best thing I would recommend is get yourself another batch of yeast, shake the heck out of your wort and re-pitch. That should do the trick.

If all else fails, give NB a shout. They'll be more than happy to help you out.

I hope this helps. I by know means am an expert. I just follow the basics, and my beer has turned out pretty well

Cheers'

Paul

thanks a lot man! i used the dry yeast for that batch, not the liquid. i racked the dead ringer into the secondary and tasted it when i took a hydro reading, i think it tasted ok. and the gravity was where i wanted. i am having the same issue with the black ipa i brewed on tuesday. there is some minor bubbling, but nothing coming out of the airlock.

Back