NB Caribou Slobber Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PIGMAN

Reaction score
Has anyone brewed the Caribou Slobber extract kit, and used the amount of priming sugar recommended by the TastyBrew calculator instead of the 5oz recommended by NB? It seems that the calculator suggests 2.5 oz for an English Brown Ale, quite a difference.:mug:

They pretty much send out 5oz with all their kits and that's a generic step in their instructions. NB even has a priming calculator on their site that will help you prime to style.

I would go off the calculator. Like was mentions above...5 oz is standard. Do me a favor and let me know how the caribou slobber tastes. My bro in law brings me a kit every time he comes home.

The instructions call for mixing in 2/3 cup of the priming sugar with 16 ounces of water, not the entire 5 ounce package.

I love that kit! I keg and do the 15psi set and forget method so I dont know if this helps. We drink it straight or make tan and tans :) with other lighter beer.

Remember that carbing "to style" means a pretty flat beer. I like my bottled beers carbed up, so I usually use 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon for almost all of my beers. I like English ales on cask, but I like my beers out of the bottle to be carbed up.

2.5 oz of corn sugar should give you about 1.8 volumes of co2- in other words, pretty flat.

Plus, Caribou Slobber is a clone of Moose Drool, an American Brown Ale. It should be carbed at a higher rate than it's English brethren.

Remember that carbing "to style" means a pretty flat beer. I like my bottled beers carbed up, so I usually use 1 oz of priming sugar per gallon for almost all of my beers. I like English ales on cask, but I like my beers out of the bottle to be carbed up.

2.5 oz of corn sugar should give you about 1.8 volumes of co2- in other words, pretty flat.

I like my beers carbed up as well, and I have been using the same ratio as you, but I was wondering whether carbing "above style" would compromise the quality of the beer.:mug:

I would go off the calculator. Like was mentions above...5 oz is standard. Do me a favor and let me know how the caribou slobber tastes. My bro in law brings me a kit every time he comes home.

I brewed it once before, and it is a nice session beer. It also really improved with age, even in the fridge.:mug:

The carbonation levels recommended by Tasty Brew for English ales are appropriate for draught ales, but are very low for bottled ales (even in England).
If it was an English ale and you are bottling, I'd go for 2.25 - 2.5 volumes CO2.

-a.

I brewed it once before, and it is a nice session beer. It also really improved with age, even in the fridge.:mug:

This is good to hear. I just popped open my first Caribou Slobber from the AG kit the other night and I'm trying to figure out if I simply don't like Brown Ales or if I'm just having bad luck with them. Mine has been conditioning for a little over three weeks. Maybe I'll give it a full month and see if it has improved. I did notice that it tastes considerably better as it warms up a bit rather than straight out of the fridge.

This is good to hear. I just popped open my first Caribou Slobber from the AG kit the other night and I'm trying to figure out if I simply don't like Brown Ales or if I'm just having bad luck with them. Mine has been conditioning for a little over three weeks. Maybe I'll give it a full month and see if it has improved. I did notice that it tastes considerably better as it warms up a bit rather than straight out of the fridge.

When it is around 48 to 50 deg in my opinion it is the best.

It's definitely better a little warmer, and it will improve with age. It's funny that you mention that maybe you just don't like brown ales, because I've found that a couple of times I brewed beers that I didn't particularly care for, and tried to figure out where I went wrong, but then I'd have everyone else rave about them. I realized at that point that I didn't do anything wrong, I just don't care for that style.:mug:

Is there a non kit extract recipe available for those of us with a LHBS store near by? I would like to brew this on my next brew day in 2 weeks.

Thanks!

Just bottled this kit and used the 5oz bag in it's entirety. The only beers I really like low carbed are stouts and porters. IPA's I like to Be on the medium side of things. The sample tasted a little fruity...but it's the sample...

Back