Natural carbing in keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmskis

Reaction score
Am I able to carbonate 3 gal of beer in a 5 gal corny with priming sugar? Does the keg not being full matter? I would purge out the air to ensure no o2 inside. I am looking at doing this because I don't have room to force carbonate in my kegerator and I would like to have one carbonated and conditioned and ready to hook up and drink once I finish one.

It'll work, but you'll have yeast to deal with when serving. You don't need to have your keg refrigerated to force carb it.

The room in the fridge is not the only issue... I am not able to leave it hooked up to the co2 which is the bigger issue.

If you only have 3 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon keg, you can get pretty close by charging the keg with 60 psi and then disconnecting. It will equalize at about 27 psi which is about right for room temp beer. You can get away with 50 psi if you put the keg outside and get it to 50-60F.

That is very useful info! For future reference is there a place where I can find the info on how to calculate what it would settle at for pressure? Possibly for different amounts of beer and keg sizes and different carb volumes?

I am familiar with that chart. What I am wondering is how Bobby knows what psi it will settle out after putting 60 psi in with 3 gallons of beer in a 5 gallon keg? Maybe personal experience? Maybe something to do with volumes of co2 that will absorb and knowing how much remains gives a pressure?

Latest posts

Back