Native ESP8266 BrewPi Firmware - WiFi BrewPi, no Arduino needed!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

day_trippr

Moderna Or Bust! :D
Reaction score
The RaspberryPi OS with lxde desktop comes with an "SD Card Copier" application that allows live-cloning of the booted SD card.
It will obviously save everything on the card...

Cheers!

marshodbrew

marshodbrew
Reaction score
Looks like SD Card Copier not available on Lite Raspbian install as I did here.
Any chance the problem is in the WiFi settings? Do you need to enable ssh and add wpa_supplicant again? Or would that be in the disk image?

rsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Everything should be in the disk image. At this point I'd suggest plugging a keyboard and monitor into the Pi and seeing what occurs when it boots up on the copied card. It could be a bad card or something.

rkhanso

Reaction score
Plymouth, MN - terrible tap water for brewing
Yes - Windows only, but there has to be a Linux or Mac equivalent.
I've used either SD card and have no differences or trouble on either one. Doesn't matter which one is installed to run Fermentrack.
It's not really a backup, but a clone of the SD card at the time when I do the "backup" - an exact copy.

marshodbrew

marshodbrew
Reaction score
Everything should be in the disk image. At this point I'd suggest plugging a keyboard and monitor into the Pi and seeing what occurs when it boots up on the copied card. It could be a bad card or something.
Thanks I’ll try. I’m brewing this weekend so going to use it without a back up.
Yes - Windows only, but there has to be a Linux or Mac equivalent.
I've used either SD card and have no differences or trouble on either one. Doesn't matter which one is installed to run Fermentrack.
It's not really a backup, but a clone of the SD card at the time when I do the "backup" - an exact copy.
Thanks. In hearing everyone’s replies it seems like I may have a bad SD card because otherwise seems like I am doing the other steps correctly.

Reaction score
When I try the cloned SD card the rPi is not found in my list of devices on my home network and the usual IP address isn’t responding.

Is there something about fermentrack that prevents the back up? Do the WiFi settings have to be reconfigured after a backup?
Done correctly, it should work. You’ll probably want to get a keyboard and monitor on there to see what’s going on.

OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Although it's not directly related to the BrewPi-ESP8266 firmware, I strongly recommend anyone that has interest in keg/pour monitoring take a look at @LBussy 's Keg Cop. Keg Cop allows for wireless monitoring of kegs, either on a standalone basis, via Raspberry Pints, or - soon- via an upcoming taplist management system that I've been working on for the past year called KegScreen.

Keg Cop (and KegScreen, once released!) is free, open source, and uses a lot of similar hardware to what you're already used to in this port of BrewPi. It's easy to build, easy to use, and solves a number of problems with existing flow monitoring solutions.

DuncB

Reaction score
@Thorrak please redirect me if on wrong thread but can't find a brewpiless thread.
I have struggled with a decent signal from my ispindel out of my ferment fridge, bargain stainless steel one but a good enough cage to stop regular wifi to my access point / router upstairs. Works great if i park a second router outside the fridge but trailing cables a pain.
I saw this ( briefly discussed on the ispindel thread about month ago )
Translation from spanish not super good but enough, I wanted to use this to have a fermentation controller ( not got the relays for that yet ) and also as a WIFI relay/booster and another gadget with the display.
I assembled it last pm and installed the software my first efforts unsuccessful until I swapped out the esp8266 for another and then it was recognised and all loaded okay.
I have managed to get a test ispindel to connect to it and see temp and gravity change.
But what I also want to do is use it as an access point for the other ispindels which use brewspy.
I can see the brewpiless network and can log onto it with a device such as phone but can't get any WWW access from there.
I have set a fixed ip for the repeater on my network but am at a loss at the network aspects.

OP
T

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
@Thorrak please redirect me if on wrong thread but can't find a brewpiless thread.
I have struggled with a decent signal from my ispindel out of my ferment fridge, bargain stainless steel one but a good enough cage to stop regular wifi to my access point / router upstairs. Works great if i park a second router outside the fridge but trailing cables a pain.
I saw this ( briefly discussed on the ispindel thread about month ago )
Translation from spanish not super good but enough, I wanted to use this to have a fermentation controller ( not got the relays for that yet ) and also as a WIFI relay/booster and another gadget with the display.
I assembled it last pm and installed the software my first efforts unsuccessful until I swapped out the esp8266 for another and then it was recognised and all loaded okay.
I have managed to get a test ispindel to connect to it and see temp and gravity change.
But what I also want to do is use it as an access point for the other ispindels which use brewspy.
I can see the brewpiless network and can log onto it with a device such as phone but can't get any WWW access from there.
I have set a fixed ip for the repeater on my network but am at a loss at the network aspects.
Hey there - BrewPiLess is a different project - the thread is over here: [email protected], no need of RPI and Arduino.