National Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

QuadConPana

Reaction score
Just paid my $14. And, I haven't even brewed the beer I'll enter.

Just wanted to be part of the thing.

My question, for those who've been involved with the process before is, do you get much useful feedback when you don't win? If so, the $14 is a bargain. If not, I guess I'll just have to brew a pretty killer beer.

This is my first year entering it as well but I would assume it's like any other homebrew competition where they send you your scores with judging notes.

I both enter and judge at NHC each year and can tell you that if you are looking primarily for feedback this probably isn't the competition for you.

You will get your scoresheets but they are modified versions of the sheets from normal competitions with less room for judges to provide written feedback. It is primarily set up with check boxes for each category with typical descriptors and flaws for the judges to check and then provide a score.

Damn! Missed the registration/entry deadline...sigh...Presume this is what you entered/referred to? Time to search for some local area competitions I guess..I need to have my beers judged by disinterested parties to see whether it is worthy..

My question, for those who've been involved with the process before is, do you get much useful feedback when you don't win? If so, the $14 is a bargain. If not, I guess I'll just have to brew a pretty killer beer.

I would get brewing then.... the beer needs to be shipped/dropped off between February 27- March 8th.... so, you basically have 3 weeks until it needs to arrive at its location.

$14 is the most expensive entry fee there is for a competition..... Usually more like $6-$8 per entry in most comps. The feedback is fine.... not better than other comps though. The checkbox form they use is sometimes disappointing to those expecting more. It can still offer good insights though if it is filled out well.

If you are really interested in feedback and using it to improve beers, the best strategy is to send the same beer into 2-3-4 competitions at roughly the same time and then get many score sheets and compare. Ignore the extremes and focus on the consistent feedback.

I've entered two of my beers into the NHC and the World Beer Cup this year. Judging happens for both within a pretty tight timeframe. I hope to get some good feedback, and maybe even a ribbon or something.

My first comp entries, so I'm really just looking forward to learning from the experience. Do entrants get feedback after the first round of judging, or does the feedback come after the competition? Thanks!

I've entered two of my beers into the NHC and the World Beer Cup this year. Judging happens for both within a pretty tight timeframe. I hope to get some good feedback, and maybe even a ribbon or something.

My first comp entries, so I'm really just looking forward to learning from the experience. Do entrants get feedback after the first round of judging, or does the feedback come after the competition? Thanks!

I can't speak for the World Beer Cup, but I judge the NHC in the first round as well as the second.

You will get notified after the first round if your beer advances to the second round. You will get score sheets after that round. If you advance, you will be instructed to send two bottles to the location of the final round, this year it's in Minneapolis in June. The scoresheets you receive will not be the full scoresheets in other competitions, as was mentioned. They will use the "checkboxes" in that instance.

There are many great competitions out there if you're looking for feedback on how to improve your beer and to get some great tips. The NHC is good as well, but it's more about the winning than getting the best feedback, in my opinion.

Well then, I guess I'll shift my mental kung fu and change the goal... Winning it is!! I can always get feedback from another competition. ;). Thanks Yooper!

Good luck to all who've entered.

Anyone else having trouble paying for their entries? I've tried to pay twice now. I paid on Friday, then got an email today saying I haven't paid, and the deadline had been extended. ...

Anyone else having trouble paying for their entries? I've tried to pay twice now. I paid on Friday, then got an email today saying I haven't paid, and the deadline had been extended. ...

Did you receive a payment confirmation email after you paid? I paid and got the email but the competition site was showing that I hadn't paid. I e-mailed them and was told the site would update within 24 hours and it did...

Yep. Same here. I paid on Friday and this morning it was still showing unpaid, but I received a confirmation of payment by email. I let them know and now it is showing paid.

Silly question..But, if the competition is 'AHA sanctioned' one needs to be a member of AHA in order to enter? If so, I guess I better join AHA..LOL

Although the site I am looking at has this blurb:

"This competition is AHA sanctioned and open to any amateur homebrewer age 21 or older. The competition will be judged using the BJCP 2008 style guidelines. This is a beer only competition."

So, I would think I DON'T have to be an AHA member?

Silly question..But, if the competition is 'AHA sanctioned' one needs to be a member of AHA in order to enter? If so, I guess I better join AHA..LOL

Although the site I am looking at has this blurb:

"This competition is AHA sanctioned and open to any amateur homebrewer age 21 or older. The competition will be judged using the BJCP 2008 style guidelines. This is a beer only competition."

So, I would think I DON'T have to be an AHA member?

You have to be an AHA member before the application period ends to enter The NHC.

The competition website says: "February 27 – March 8 - First Round Shipping Window - Competition beers due to your respected First Round site Shipping/Drop-off location."

The first part--shipping window--suggests to me that I have to put it in the mail by 3/8. The second part seems to suggest that it must be received by 3/8. Anyone have any insight on this?

The competition website says: "February 27 – March 8 - First Round Shipping Window - Competition beers due to your respected First Round site Shipping/Drop-off location."

The first part--shipping window--suggests to me that I have to put it in the mail by 3/8. The second part seems to suggest that it must be received by 3/8. Anyone have any insight on this?

I would believe 3/8 is the last day to receive....like as you are going to drop them off in person at your judging location, you have until the 8th to physically walk them in. If you are shipping they have to be received by the 8th. So don't ship the 7th hoping to meet the deadline unless you ship overnight guaranteed by noon type of shipping.

I would believe 3/8 is the last day to receive....like as you are going to drop them off in person at your judging location, you have until the 8th to physically walk them in. If you are shipping they have to be received by the 8th. So don't ship the 7th hoping to meet the deadline unless you ship overnight guaranteed by noon type of shipping.

I think you're likely right. I initially took it as a mailing deadline and I was cutting it close to make sure my hoppy beers were fresh as possible by juding day 3/17. Well alright, I'll just have to compress the back end of my production schedule a bit and mail it on 3/6 via 2nd day fedex.

the 8th is the receipt deadline, not shipping.
also, depending on where you are, Ground often gets it there in 2 days.

The Pantherjon post appears to be talking about a different competition, based on the "beer only" and the "2008" - and one would assume you do not need to be an AHA member for that.

Did you receive a payment confirmation email after you paid? I paid and got the email but the competition site was showing that I hadn't paid. I e-mailed them and was told the site would update within 24 hours and it did...

I have not gotten a payment confirmation email, either time. Wth?

The Pantherjon post appears to be talking about a different competition, based on the "beer only" and the "2008" - and one would assume you do not need to be an AHA member for that.

Correct..Sorry, should have mentioned that..It is for the Suwanee Homebrew Competition..The thing is, the MAIL to address for sending in entries goes to Denver,CO when the physical drop off is in Alpharetta, GA! Weird..

Thinking of entering, but the beers I want to enter are in the IPA category and I am pretty sure that is going to be a PACKED category...

I'm ready! On the left, Belgian Pale Ale, on the right, Czech Premium Pilsner. Both tatse amazing, prefect carb levels, and crystal clear!

These are definitely two of the best I've ever brewed in 9 years as a homebrewer! Good luck to all!

beer.jpg

I bottled up a couple cases of beer yesterday..... gotta decide tomorrow what is actually going in the box - choosing 5 of the following: Blonde, Best Bitter, Scottish Light, Dark Mild, Helles, American Brown, Czech Dark Lager, IPA.

If you advance, you will be instructed to send two bottles to the location of the final round, this year it's in Minneapolis in June.

It's actually three bottles in the final round, at least that's what the rules indicate. I had to check this today as I was getting my entries ready. I have a sour entry that I only have a limited number left, so I wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be short in the event that it advances.

I bottled up a couple cases of beer yesterday..... gotta decide tomorrow what is actually going in the box - choosing 5 of the following: Blonde, Best Bitter, Scottish Light, Dark Mild, Helles, American Brown, Czech Dark Lager, IPA.

good luck my friend. Looks like we won't be competing head-to-head in anything. I've got one each beer mead and cider ready but need to pick a 4th and 5th favorite child. Driving myself nuts on best/most likely to advance/most likely to medal. As is Tradition. :D

cheers--
--Michael

good luck my friend. Looks like we won't be competing head-to-head in anything. I've got one each beer mead and cider ready but need to pick a 4th and 5th favorite child. Driving myself nuts on best/most likely to advance/most likely to medal. As is Tradition. :D

cheers--
--Michael

Same here. Plus, I was sick as hell for the last 10 days or so, and my "tasting" skills have been severely hampered. I poured a quick glass of pilsner I had sitting ..... it was still hazy and tasted yeasty 2 weeks ago. Yesterday morning, it was crystal clear and tasted pretty good.... so, I ended up bottling some of those up.
Final list - Dark Mild, Best Bitter, Scottish Light, German Pils, Blonde
Helles ended up as odd beer out.

American Brown was just too "blah".... I think it would have got lost in the shuffle of bigger/assertive browns and ambers.

IPA ..... just can't bring myself to enter that category as it is always so crazy - even with a good IPA - just too hit and miss.

Something weird going on with my czech dark lager..... DMS or Diacetyl ... or both.

Had a kolsch I brewed with 1007 that I was hoping would be ready.... but, the yeast just WILL NOT drop out of it.

I was more optimistic in some years past. Just been a hectic couple months for no real reason and I just don't feel some of these are where they will need to be. Guess we will see. Best of luck to you as well.

:mug:

For folks who have entered before: How clean does the outside of the bottle need to be? I have a few bottles that still have some glue residue on them despite a long soak in PBW.

For folks who have entered before: How clean does the outside of the bottle need to be? I have a few bottles that still have some glue residue on them despite a long soak in PBW.

I would error on the side of "it needs to be clean" technically you could tell your judge buddy to look for the bottle that still has glue residue on the side with a unique mark that could be yours. Kinda like not being able to have unique bottle caps. I could be completely wrong but I would hate to be disqualified over a not so clean bottle.

I'd recommend making sure it's clean. The first thing judges do before they even open your beer is a bottle inspection. The judges check for proper fill and any signs of infection. It's not worth any points, but it's essentially the first impression of your beer. If they see that you haven't even taken the time to remove glue and labels, it could taint the judging of your beer as well. It's supposed to be as objective as possible, but we're still human so do anything possible to ensure your entry remains in a positive light.

My 1st year entering too - I have 5 heading to NYC. I've entered a number of regional comps the past few years and have done well so I'm looking forward to it.

As I understand it, if you score a 25 or higher on a beer, even if it doesn't medal in the first round, you still receive some sort of certificate indicating your beer was decent? Can anyone with prior experience elaborate?

My 1st year entering too - I have 5 heading to NYC. I've entered a number of regional comps the past few years and have done well so I'm looking forward to it.

As I understand it, if you score a 25 or higher on a beer, even if it doesn't medal in the first round, you still receive some sort of certificate indicating your beer was decent? Can anyone with prior experience elaborate?

Yeah - I can't remember the exact cutoffs for the various certificates, but they do have that. They used to send them out, but now I believe you have to go in and print them off yourself if you want it.

You can print certificates for your beer (regardless of whether it actually places) if your total score is within the below ranges:

25-29: bronze certificate
30-37: silver certificate
38-50: gold certificate

Think big, go for the ribbon!

You can print certificates for your beer (regardless of whether it actually places) if your total score is within the below ranges:

25-29: bronze certificate
30-37: silver certificate
38-50: gold certificate

Think big, go for the ribbon!

Thanks! And yeah, the ribbon is what i want! I have a few that I think are solid.

If I'm doing my math correctly, last year there were nearly 8000 entries, and they are anticipating the same for this year. There are 12 1st round competition places, meaning an average of 666 beers per place. I've placed in competitions in the past in the 700ish range of beers, so maybe it's not as daunting of a task as I thought? Guess I'll know in a few weeks :mug:

To be honest, you don't get much useful feedback even when you do win.

Best of luck to us all! What are you guys entering? I'm (rapidly) finishing up my APA for the Austin first round. Hopefully it'll do as well as last year! :D my 2nd entry will likely be a Black IPA.

Latest posts

Back