National Homebrew Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The message was in the same email that I received my scoresheet in. It wasn't marked on the scoresheet though. Here's the text in the email:

"Dear Stephen,

Thank you for participating in the first round of the 2017 National Homebrew Competition, Denver region in category 3B.

Congratulations!* Your entry took second place in this category. The AHA will be in touch with you shortly regarding your award and entry in the final round in June.

Your score sheets are attached.

Cheers!"

Well big thanks to you my friend. I just went back and reread all 5 of my emails and sure enough, my English IPA took 1st and my coconut porter took 3rd! I guess I was just a bit too excited to get my scores that I looked right past the rest of the email!

Well big thanks to you my friend. I just went back and reread all 5 of my emails and sure enough, my English IPA took 1st and my coconut porter took 3rd! I guess I was just a bit too excited to get my scores that I looked right past the rest of the email!

Glad I could help. I actually did the same thing! It wasn't until the second time I looked at it more closely and realized I was advancing.

Congrats!

Got my Philly scoresheets, Schwarzbier that took 2nd and advanced to finals scored a 37. Meanwhile an Irish Dry Stout that I figured would score in 20's actually got a 35.

Was kind of glad the schwarzbier did not get a score in 40's, as I just re-brewed for finals and tweaked recipe to get the beer a little drier and not as dark, and would have hated to tweak a beer that scored in 40's, while a 37 shows that there is room to improve the beer.

Did your scoresheets come in the mail? Still waiting for mine from Philly...

So does anyone think there is some inherent unfairness that different regions announce their results at different times? I mean, if someone from Denver has to re-brew a lager, vs someone from a region that announced a month ago, that doesn't seem fair.

Denver and Sacramento basically have 1 month to rebrew before it's time to ship their final entries.

Also, I'm still awaiting instructions for my entry for the final round. It's my first time in the finals, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if they haven't released that info yet.

So does anyone think there is some inherent unfairness that different regions announce their results at different times? I mean, if someone from Denver has to re-brew a lager, vs someone from a region that announced a month ago, that doesn't seem fair.

Denver and Sacramento basically have 1 month to rebrew before it's time to ship their final entries.

Also, I'm still awaiting instructions for my entry for the final round. It's my first time in the finals, so I'm not sure if I'm missing something, or if they haven't released that info yet.

Regardless of when regions release results, why would you wait for the results to plan your rebrew schedule?

The final round judging date has been known since the competition opened...

Regardless of when regions release results, why would you wait for the results to plan your rebrew schedule?

Exactly...... a lot of rebrewing should be done before you are really even likely to have results back...... Just got to plan ahead and hope for the best. For instance, I now have a pilsner, a scottish ale and a Dark Mild ready to send to the second round.......
Of course, that would have been more impressive had they advanced this year:(

Because I don't want or need a constant supply of Irish Extra Stout, in my instance. Also, I rarely brew the same beer twice, and when I do, they're usually based on a seasonal schedule.

It just seems like if they're trying to make it as fair as possible, everyone would be notified simultaneously.

Because I don't want or need a constant supply of Irish Extra Stout, in my instance. Also, I rarely brew the same beer twice, and when I do, they're usually based on a seasonal schedule.

It just seems like if they're trying to make it as fair as possible, everyone would be notified simultaneously.

It doesn't get any more fair than setting the final round judging date at the beginning of the competition.

You choosing not to rebrew for whatever reasons has nothing to do with their fairness...

Does anyone else think it unfair those later regions got to cold condition for weeks longer than my rushed, green, estery beer?

...Ok, I don't really think that. Just illustrating we can spin this in any number of ways.

I picked a region whose schedule and judge pool worked for me.
By the way, despite being in the earliest region some other regions were emailed their scanned sheets a month before mine were mailed. I'm not complaining about that either.

Does anyone else think it unfair those later regions got to cold condition for weeks longer than my rushed, green, estery beer?

...Ok, I don't really think that. Just illustrating we can spin this in any number of ways.

I picked a region whose schedule and judge pool worked for me.
By the way, despite being in the earliest region some other regions were emailed their scanned sheets a month before mine were mailed. I'm not complaining about that either.

Right, that's exactly my point.

So is this a thing? Does everyone re-brew before getting their results?

Right, that's exactly my point.

So is this a thing? Does everyone re-brew before getting their results?

Most probably do not rebrew. Most who are serious about it, however, probably do rebrew based on time schedule the beer requires, as opposed to arrival of results. They may choose not to rebrew if it is an entry that ages well and does not need a rebrew, or if it is a style that is best brewed with a short turn around time - then they may wait.

Bottom line, if someone enters a beer that is at its prime around 12 weeks, and you are entering because you think your beer is good enough to advance.... then you rebrew it 12 weeks before the final regardless of knowing the first round results.

Instructions will be on your Brewer profile on the competition website. They were suppose to be available yesterday and all score sheets not mailed out were going to be mailed tomorrow, with ribbons the next day...but since the last few regions are still "verifying" the website now says instructions will be available by 5/2. Basically you will have to send 3 bottles to the Final by June 1 and you have to enter your recipe on their site (after getting instruction) by 5/31 in case your beer wins gold so that it can be printed in Zymurgy next year.

Original dates: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/dates-deadlines/

But main page has the changed date: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/national-homebrew-competition/

Last edited:
I figured that the brew that advanced is the EXACT same brew I want in the finals. I don't wanna risk the of chance that it doesn't come out as well. My czech pils had been sitting at 34 in the bottle since I entered the first bottles... I figure it's just additional lagering time. It had only been lagered 60 days before I sent the first round.

But I could see wanting to re-brew an IPA due to how quickly a high ibu beer can get that grassy flavor.

Most probably do not rebrew. Most who are serious about it, however, probably do rebrew based on time schedule the beer requires, as opposed to arrival of results. They may choose not to rebrew if it is an entry that ages well and does not need a rebrew, or if it is a style that is best brewed with a short turn around time - then they may wait.

Bottom line, if someone enters a beer that is at its prime around 12 weeks, and you are entering because you think your beer is good enough to advance.... then you rebrew it 12 weeks before the final regardless of knowing the first round results.

Excellent, thanks. I never really planned on making it through, so never put much thought into the second round...hell, my 2nd place stout only scored a 33. What's going on Denver stout brewers, you can do better than that!

I figured that the brew that advanced is the EXACT same brew I want in the finals. I don't wanna risk the of chance that it doesn't come out as well. My czech pils had been sitting at 34 in the bottle since I entered the first bottles... I figure it's just additional lagering time. It had only been lagered 60 days before I sent the first round.

But I could see wanting to re-brew an IPA due to how quickly a high ibu beer can get that grassy flavor.

I agree that the brew I entered initially is the same one I want to enter later on. My IPA actually scored a 41 and it had been bottled for right around a month or so. I still have a few bottles left and honestly I really like how it's drinking right now, so I'm just going to send in the same bottles. It'll be interesting to compare scores (assuming they'll score again idk).

personal stats: I've advanced 3 lagers to the Finals, all were rebrewed long before I got feedback; two of them I ended up sending the older one to Finals. All three got medals. This year I've got a non-lager in there, but it's an aged beer. Not rebrewing.
my ciders and meads are all re-blended if necessary, but until last year they always did worse in Finals
so I doubt I'll bother this year. Anything I'm competing with is planned ahead to be in top shape for this competition. When/If I win one of the 4 Major Awards, I expect the "brewing just for NHC" efforts will stop and I'll just send in whatever I've got available at the moment that is in great shape.

tl;dr this competition is important to me and I plan accordingly.

My scoresheets from NHC Austin came in the mail today. Got more detail and constructive feedback than I expected so I was surprised. Best brew scored 32.5, while the worst came in at 22.5.

personal stats: I've advanced 3 lagers to the Finals, all were rebrewed long before I got feedback; two of them I ended up sending the older one to Finals. All three got medals. This year I've got a non-lager in there, but it's an aged beer. Not rebrewing.
my ciders and meads are all re-blended if necessary, but until last year they always did worse in Finals
so I doubt I'll bother this year. Anything I'm competing with is planned ahead to be in top shape for this competition. When/If I win one of the 4 Major Awards, I expect the "brewing just for NHC" efforts will stop and I'll just send in whatever I've got available at the moment that is in great shape.

tl;dr this competition is important to me and I plan accordingly.

Wow, very impressive. It would be the achievement of a lifetime for me to medal! I'm sure it's not in the cards this year. But, my re-brewed irish stout is chilling right now, pretty much hit all my same numbers again, so fingers crossed?

Also, this might be of interest to some. I don't own a beer gun, and I keg, so I actually bottled all 4 of my entries straight off my taps. 2 even just used a picnic tap to bottle. I flushed the bottles with CO2, then just poured really slow straight from my tap. Even with a super hoppy india pale lager....not a single comment about any oxidation or anything. I might invest in a beer gun for the finals, though.

So let me ask this....those of you advancing to the finals, do you plan on going to the NHC? Not in the cards for me, but I told a buddy he could accept my medal for me.

Anyone able to access their post-competition package on-line? I cannot access mine to download my certificates, ect...

Anyone able to access their post-competition package on-line? I cannot access mine to download my certificates, ect...

Was an email sent out? I placed in Milwaukee, but haven't received anything about the post-competition package being available yet.

I received an email stating the post-comp stuff would be available by May 3rd...

You should get an email with a link to information for people advancing to the final round. It is different from the link for first round participants.

I received an email stating the post-comp stuff would be available by May 3rd...

yea I got the same email, but nothing seems to be on the site. Edit: Packages are up on the site now

I had a Vienna Lager score 35. 1st time I ever made one.

Barrel Aged Coffee Stout got 37 and went to mini-BoS but did not advance after that.

Then there was a Red Rye IPA that got the 28 it deserved. Hop aroma had just died by the time it was judged, I just sent what I had cause I paid for the entry.

I really should plan better and brew for the comp, but I have too much fun experimenting and then just send what I have at the time.

Was able to access my package, but now they need to turn on the ability to add your recipe for beers that advanced and print labels. Had my Schwarz take 2nd in Philly, scored a 37 and my Irish Stout did not make it but scored a decent 35.

As a "what the heck", entered my first ever AG - a British Northern Brown - and just found out it got a 30.5.

My son actually entered it with three of his own...his each scored a few points higher. The game is on!

Has anyone heard anything from San Diego yet?

I emailed John Moorhead about it this morning - he says the San Diego score sheets were mailed out over a week ago, should be showing up any time.

EDIT - My score sheets arrived today.

Anyone able to access the final round website? It is not working for me.

Back