Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, it looks picturesque enough that I feel like I should get a hit on Google image search with the right search terms. I'm having no luck with "Colorado," "church," "tower," and "bridge" (or any combination of those).

Wild guess: are we near Estes Park?

Although those mountains aren't very West Virginia-like
A tangent.... This is one of my pet peeves... There are movies which take place in Appalachia, but really obviously weren't filmed there. Huge giveaways are giant coniferous forests or mountains which reach above the tree line. Living in Appalachia most of my life, this really bothers me and I don't know why.

A tangent.... This is one of my pet peeves... There are movies which take place in Appalachia, but really obviously weren't filmed there. Huge giveaways are giant coniferous forests or mountains which reach above the tree line. Living in Appalachia most of my life, this really bothers me and I don't know why.

Welcome to Hollywood depictions of Europe...

Well, it looks picturesque enough that I feel like I should get a hit on Google image search with the right search terms. I'm having no luck with "Colorado," "church," "tower," and "bridge" (or any combination of those).

Wild guess: are we near Estes Park?
I didn’t know the actual name of the building so I did a google image search with terms not altogether unlike those. It helped that I knew the name of the town, though :)

Two things:
1. John Denver didn't just sing about a Rocky Mountain high and wanting to be in Colorado; he sang about an specific place/city. :)
2. Focus on the church (or a kind of a church) part of the picture to google the image. :p

Two things:
1. John Denver didn't just sing about a Rocky Mountain high and wanting to be in Colorado; he sang about an specific place/city. :)
2. Focus on the church (or a kind of a church) part of the picture to google the image. :p
Wait, what do you mean “google the image?” Is this even legal in this game? #rule4

I think that means don’t reverse search the image. I usually verify educated guesses or fading memories with google but wouldn’t search from scratch.
Yes, I meant that if you want to verify the place you assume from #1, attending to #2 will do it. It's the only reason I know the name of the building. My hint is really about John Denver songs. Like me, he was born in 1943.

edit: I see that I phrased #2 poorly. Sorry.

Last edited:
This one is driving me crazy. It's like one of those Magic Eye puzzles, where it just looks like a jumble of pixels, but you know that if you could just catch a glimpse, everything will suddenly come into focus.

I'm getting hits on Aspen in a lot of John Denver lyrics, so let's go with that. I still have no clue on the church, though.

Aspen. Yes. John Denver. Aspenglow. Starwood in Aspen, etc. etc. He famously lived in Aspen, and the town has a beautiful memorial garden in his honor, the John Denver Sanctuary. I thought John Denver was an easy giveaway. Since I didn’t know the name of the church and “Aspen Church” gave the wrong building, my next search words were “Aspen Chapel”.

Indeed the building were looking at is the Aspen Chapel, “a spiritual home for everyone.”

It’s yours, @3 Dawg Night!

I thought John Denver was an easy giveaway. Since I didn’t know the name of the church and “Aspen Church” gave the wrong building,
I had guessed Aspen so I googled Aspen church and got an image on Aspen Chapel. I thought John Denver was a giveaway too.

Edit: Grandson on his way back to college. Skyline has been identified. All's right with the world.

Last edited:
I kept talking myself out of Aspen. That's not the first time (and it probably won't be the last time) I've talked myself out of a right answer in this game.

I think this one should go pretty quickly.

skyline7.jpg

Morgantown, WV.

Funny... I thought it looked like WV or OH. I've been to Morgantown quite a few times, but only in this specific area at night and I just didn't recognize it. A friend of mine once lived very close to where this photo was taken.

Last edited:
Morgantown, WV.

Funny... I thought it looked like WV or OH. I've been to Morgantown quite a few times, but only in this specific area at night and I just didn't recognize it. A friend of mine once lived very close to where this photo was taken.
You got it! I stayed with the John Denver theme. Morgantown is home to the University of West Virginia, where they sing "Take Me Home Country Roads" after every football win.

@dirkomatic is up!

I don't actually know. I correctly guessed Central America, but I have not been able to verify anything. What was the term you used? Google fu? I need some.
Am I right that it's a lake?

Last edited:
That's the Jones Beach watertower, Long Island, New York.
(If you google "traffic circle in ocean" you get a picture of the circle bridge I posted at #11036 and this one in the first few images, so I saw it just a couple of weeks ago. :) )

I remembered the Jones Beach watertower circle, because I considered using it as a follow up post to that traffic circle bridge post. I didn't, but this picture from 2008 is a followup:
2008.png

Last edited:
That's the Jones Beach watertower, Long Island, New York.
(If you google "traffic circle in ocean" you get a picture of the circle bridge I posted at #11036 and this one in the first few images, so I saw it just a couple of weeks ago. :) )

Someone mentioned Devil Dogs in another thread. Got my mind running through hazy images of my childhood.

Back