Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rules seem to have have relaxed some. The photos have become so obscure that no one but the people taking them know what city it is without hitting Google. I refrained from posting my "cheats" as responses until yesterday. I claimed to use Bing as a sort of handicap/goof. My Google educated guess was also wrong.

For those of you guys that are purely guessing on these locales, you're pretty good at this game. But if you're using google and you can't get most of these in about 5 seconds (literally), you're doing something wrong. This goes for the last picture posted.

Anyway, I thought using google, or even looking at the poster's prior threads/posts, etc, was cheating per the OP.

I'm a relatively newcomer to this thread, but I did read the OP and it only says to not use Image Search (you know, right clicking on an image and "Search Google for this image"), or looking at the image name/url. It says nothing about using Google itself with the provided context clues. I think that's part of the game - the "GoogleFu" nature of it.

Correct me if I'm wrong though. Otherwise this last one would have been impossible (and has proven to be thus far, even with the aid of Google).

Back on topic, I thought Salzburg many times, but the layout of the city just isn't right for the angle of the photo (city is on the wrong side of the river, the river isn't running east/west enough really (though I'm now starting to doubt the actual river direction as just a photo illusion), and I can't find that tower/spire anywhere).

Hohensalzburg Castle in Salzburg!!!

I looked at a map of Austrian castles and there's only 4 on the borders, 2 are on the czech border, 1 was German, and 1 was Hungary. I thought germany was more likely and used google maps to see which city was built on a river on the border of germany and austria (Salzburg) and found this castle in the top 10 sights of the city list.

Did a google image search to verify and I believe I have it! Good one!

Getting closer, but the picture was taken from Austria facing across the river, looking at the other country. I said it was on the Austrian border, not that the castle was Austrian...

Think I got it: Burghausen Castle, Burghausen, Austria!

Seems like such an obscure place! Where you there for vacation or business?

I don't care how you all play the game, it's not my thread and I'm not making the rules or enforcing them. Just an observation.

E.g., I right-clicked the picture above and asked google to search for similar pics, and here's what pops up. 0.43 seconds! That takes the challenge out of the game.

I do like the idea of using google as a sort of scavenger hunt, but then the pics must be ones taken by the poster, because anything from the internet is going to be too easy for google.

castle 0.jpg

castle.jpg

Think I got it: Burghausen Castle, Burghausen, Austria!

Seems like such an obscure place! Where you there for vacation or business?

You are correct!

I was "there" for business, in that I was staying in Munich and had a customer meeting in Austria. Burghausen was where we crossed the border. We took time to get out and take pics on the way back.

It is Burghausen, Germany BTW. The castle is on the German side.

Burghausen Germany

If that is right I followed the map of Austria to find a city on a small river fitting the description. The map also shows a castle which I assume is the large building in the image.

Last edited:
I do like the idea of using google as a sort of scavenger hunt, but then the pics must be ones taken by the poster, because anything from the internet is going to be too easy for google.

It actually was my own picture... Google must be smart.

IMHO using a reverse image search like that would be cheating. Using Google with the clues provided or to narrow down ones guesses is IMHO okay. I don't think anyone could have gotten mine without it.

To be honest, I was so jet-lagged on that trip, and wasn't driving, that I had to use Google to deduce where I'd taken the picture! :D

Yeah the whole "right click > search google for image" is what is specifically called out as being off limits. Yes, we all know you "can" do it, but it was asked to not do it:

4. This is an honor system here so let's keep it fair and fun for everyone. No cheating by using SEARCH GOOGLE FOR IMAGE or looking at the IMAGE URL, or any other method.

Besides, if you do that same routine on the original image he posted (the panorama), Google tells you "nature" (try it). So that would have been useless anyway (until he posted the 2nd pic).

Ok here's the next one. The only hint I'll give up front is that we're back in the US now.

I wont guess as I have stayed the night there years ago. @ over $200 a night. Thank god I didn't have to pay for it. Picture was probably taken early fall or just going into fall. Colors are amazing in late fall out there.

Cheers
Jay

Hot Springs Arkansas. The twin tower looking building is Arlington Hotel. I stayed 2 nights with a girlfriend what seems like 20+ years ago.

The only reason I know of the time of year that picture was take ins that's about the time I was there and the colors are just amazing!

Cheers
Jay

Hmmmmm, Interesting. Looks like the western US, but no glacier at top rules out most mountains in WA/ID/MT/OR. So I'll say Mt. Shasta in CA

Hmmmmm, Interesting. Looks like the western US, but no glacier at top rules out most mountains in WA/ID/MT/OR. So I'll say Mt. Shasta in CA

I Agree that it looks like the I5 corridor but it looks too small and too brown to be Shasta (which is named the white mountain). I've been there many times and never seen it totally snow free.

I'm going to go with Mt Lassen national volcanic monument, but its hard to tell.

My mom lives in Reno and I went through there last year.

I say guess away! That's a valid reason to know the city and is completely fair game!

That is why I suggested the how did you know that addition to the game.

To me it is interesting as to how people get to their answer. I was wondering if the members have visited Taiwan and Kuala Lumpur or a random city in Germany.

To me the coolest ways to get the answer are:
  • I've been there
  • I recognize the picture just because.
  • Educated guess based on the image and or clues
  • Educated guess using Google maps and google as a tool

I feel using google image is akin to cheating. I do use it but only after submitting a guess and just to see if I am correct. I like the clues and treasure hunt aspect of the game.

Like someone else said, I don't have the patience for this game. But I love geography and pictures so I'll at least stay tuned to the thread!

That is why I suggested the how did you know that addition to the game.

To me it is interesting as to how people get to their answer. I was wondering if the members have visited Taiwan and Kuala Lumpur or a random city in Germany.

To me the coolest ways to get the answer are:

• I've been there
  • I recognize the picture just because.
  • Educated guess based on the image and or clues
  • Educated guess using Google maps and google as a tool

I feel using google image is akin to cheating. I do use it but only after submitting a guess and just to see if I am correct. I like the clues and treasure hunt aspect of the game.

This 100%

And when I said I "Google image searched" earlier, I input search terms on the image tab.. I had no idea you could right click the image like that.. Just for clarification.

I love the clue based searching as well

This 100%

And when I said I "Google image searched" earlier, I input search terms on the image tab.. I had no idea you could right click the image like that.. Just for clarification.

I love the clue based searching as well

I think when the game is a day into fruitless efforts of the whole team it is time to pull out all the stops to get the game moving.

I think early on in the guessing game using google image to check your guess allows you to eliminate a wrong guess and keep looking.

While we are discussing ethics of this game, I got to ask is it fair for me to search my own photos to search for this mountain?

I think when the game is a day into fruitless efforts of the whole team it is time to pull out all the stops to get the game moving.

I think early on in the guessing game using google image to check your guess allows you to eliminate a wrong guess and keep looking.

While we are discussing ethics of this game, I got to ask is it fair for me to search my own photos to search for this mountain?

I would say it's totally fair, as you've likely been there... unless you have software that will recognize the photo and match it to one of yours automatically or something like that

I Agree that it looks like the I5 corridor but it looks too small and too brown to be Shasta (which is named the white mountain). I've been there many times and never seen it totally snow free.

I'm going to go with Mt Lassen national volcanic monument, but its hard to tell.

My mom lives in Reno and I went through there last year.

Dammit this is wrong.. it just clicked where the picture is.. I won't give it away as I've actually hiked around it.. doh moment :smack:

Dammit this is wrong.. it just clicked where the picture is.. I won't give it away as I've actually hiked around it.. doh moment :smack:

I scanned my portfolio and knew it was not Baker. I was pretty sure it was Lassen also. I can't think of another peak in Norcal unless it is in the Tahoe area.

It would be interesting what Jay considers Norcal. I grew up in the Bay Area which I consider Norcal but Jay is in Nornorcal.

MK if you've been there time to let us know where it is.

I scanned my portfolio and knew it was not Baker. I was pretty sure it was Lassen also. I can't think of another peak in Norcal unless it is in the Tahoe area.

It would be interesting what Jay considers Norcal. I grew up in the Bay Area which I consider Norcal but Jay is in Nornorcal.

MK if you've been there time to let us know where it is.

Anything north of the Bay area IMHO is Nor Cal.

Cheers
Jay

It's black butte near shasta on I5

I saw that on the map but the photo does not look like butte to me. At least in Wyoming they are always flat topped mountains. Or maybe I got distracted by Deschutes' Porter when thinking of Black Butte.

Agreed Photopilot. I only start Googling if it's clearly a stumper that no one seems to be able to get. I'm all about context clues and geography though, so I definitely put on the thinking cap first.

This is becoming incredibly obscure. I may just post a pic of inside my car and have you guys guess where its at.

This is becoming incredibly obscure. I may just post a pic of inside my car and have you guys guess where its at.

I don't think so. That's a pretty prominent feature. Maybe the castle one and the one I posted from across a lake were a bit obscure, sure, but I don't mind a challenge.

And you're welcome to post a pic of whatever you want really, but you'd have to guess correctly first :mug:

I am not from Edmonton, but I am Canadian. The hotel in the foreground and the snow gave it away. It seems every Canadian city has a hotel like that, plus there aren't many Canadian cities to choose from that size.

oKCVRYX.jpg

Latest posts

Back