Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's mine:

1675201893494.jpeg

General vibe is North American major city, but the flags suggest we're in a gay village so one of the more...tolerant... parts of North America.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I recognise the Q logo on the top-left as :
1675206456561.png

So if we're in a big city served by Hydro Quebec, the obvious first choice is Montreal?

General vibe is North American major city, but the flags suggest we're in a gay village so one of the more...tolerant... parts of North America.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure I recognise the Q logo on the top-left as :
View attachment 811547

So if we're in a big city served by Hydro Quebec, the obvious first choice is Montreal?
You got it. The city of my birth. I moved to Burbank CA when I was 4. The only thing I remember is the ice storms. LOL.

Bruce is very cold.

Pkrd is warm-ish I guess. Certainly has the right idea, but this one is not known as a harbour despite the "pond" in the middle.

Mt Terror - assuming you mean the one on Ross Island - is almost as cold as Heard Island.

Drake Passage is rather vague, but on a narrow definition, then it's a bit colder than Pkrd was.

So it's not accessible?
Well I can't speak from personal experience, but AIUI it's not used as a harbour in the way that Deception Island is, so I assume the "pond" is not readily accessible from the sea. Just looking at the way that the pond is calm compared to the sea, I assume they're not in good contact at this height of tide, suggesting it's more like a really, really big rock pool.

Bruce has it - a volcano in the South Sandwich Isles, a British territory about 1600 miles east of the southern tip of South America. It's part of the Scotia Arc that goes east from the Antarctic Peninsula then curves north and back west towards the Falkland Islands. It was first sighted by Captain Cook in 1775 on 2 February, the feast of Candlemas, celebrating the Presentation of Jesus at the Temple.

For scale the main pond (Medusa Pool) is about 1km or half a mile across, it was a channel when first discovered but subsequent lava flows have blocked it up. The far pond is Gorgon Pool, on the left is Lucifer Hill, beyond that is Kraken Cove and Demon Point, you get the idea....

I've got a strange fascination with those random volcanic islands in the middle of the deep ocean, there's just something about them, and the more we learn about them the more fascinating they get, they're a huge biodiversity hotspot. And it's just a great photo.

Anyway, @bruce_the_loon is up

Haha, recognised that one straight away! I'll let others play with it though, there are some clues in the picture....

[and even had a friend go there on a work trip years ago, which was...interesting.]

I'd note the "almost-inaccessible outpost" bit, which doesn't sound like the Caribbean.

The cars also give a hint...

Ding. Ding. Ding. You're up.

Tracer Bullet has it at last. One of the Atlantic's better days I guess, looking almost too blue.
Well it is in the tropics. My friend went there before the airport opened in 2017 (after something of a saga, see the Wiki article) so did it the old way - 5 days by sea from South Africa, each way. Another of those fascinating little dots of land.

Hah - I thought it was Mostar bridge but had to check - it was briefly quite famous in Europe during the Balkan war.

Back