Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This might be a challenge unless you've actually been there, but it's actually quite a significant place, internationally and personally. Good luck!
IMG_SD001.JPG

Well, I wasn’t expecting that so soon. Days with clues, I reckoned. Well done, @D.B.Moody! You must have trodden the paths. You’re up.

Kingley Vale, one of the finest natural yew (Taxus baccata) groves on the South Downs; one of the finest in Europe, if not the world. Once used by the British army for target practice. They turned their artillery on the peaceful giants and blew many to smithereens. Arthur Tansley appreciated Kingley Vale as something ecologically valuable and fiercely lobbied the government. It was made Britain’s first protected natural area, thanks to Tansley. The yew, revered throughout history since before Christianity, thrives on the chalk downland; where it’s prospered best since the end of the last ice age. One of my favourite places on the South Downs. I surveyed the South Downs yew years ago - along with the village pubs - and never stopped returning to Kingley Vale. I met my wife there. We picnicked and made love there. Our children played there. And the dog enjoyed her early Sunday morning walks in the mists there. Summer before the virus was our last visit. I sensed something was wrong. It was sick. A dumb management practice prescribed ignorantly by a jobsworth? Climate change? Air pollution? Imported pest? Too many visitors? Boris Johnson? Who knows? All I know is that when we let this kind of thing happen we wish for the world to end. Maybe the neoliberal world today doesn’t deserve its Kingley Vales. We’ll see.

Edit: It's difficult to do it the justice it deserves, but this captures some of it. I'd view the legends, tall stories including the yew tax, with a little scepticism. Analysis of the pollen record shows it's been a stable (climax) ecological community on the chalk downland since the end of the ice age and elements of it survived in refugia on the steep slopes of the Downs, which can't be managed, and now protected areas.

Last edited:
Thanks for the story. This is from 1991, and, keeping it personal, that's my wife next to our car in the lower right:
1991.png

Last edited:
It is Provincetown, MA. It was a beautiful day doing Cape Cod during a fall color trip. Two of my ancestors, Stephen Hopkins and his daughter Constance, were on the Mayflower. You're up @bruce_the_loon.

Not Canada, @dirkomatic, and the red thing the picture is our Chevy Cavalier. (I don't get the "red herring" thing.)
For some reason, there is a Canadian flag on the flag pole in the photo. "Red herring" is a misleading clue (see definition below)

red her·ring
/ˈˌred ˈheriNG/

noun

1. a dried smoked herring, which is turned red by the smoke.

2. something, especially a clue, that is or is intended to be misleading or distracting.
"the book is fast-paced, exciting, and full of red herrings"

For some reason, there is a Canadian flag on the flag pole in the photo. "Red herring" is a misleading clue (see definition below)

red her·ring
/ˈˌred ˈheriNG/

noun

1. a dried smoked herring, which is turned red by the smoke.

2. something, especially a clue, that is or is intended to be misleading or distracting.
"the book is fast-paced, exciting, and full of red herrings"

Which is why we all searched Canada dry.

For some reason, there is a Canadian flag on the flag pole in the photo.

Okay, that's the problem. I know what a red herring is. I just didn't know there is a Canadian flag in the picture. I was making a joke about the car being the red thing. In my defense, I'm pretty color blind and don't notice red things hidden amongst green things.

I am am engineer from the environmental and water sector.... And when I see this bridge I just ask myself... Why?! Just why?!?

Laguna garzon bridge Uruguay
For once that science quote applies to engineers.

“Your engineers were so preoccupied with whether they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

Back