Name That Skyline - Picture Game

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, Roman aqueduct. Wrong country. In the first Roman 'province' beyond the Alps...

Well, "Gaul, as a whole, is divided into three parts," and they don't include Provincia Romana. So I guess Tende, France.

Last edited:
Nice work by both of you. It is in what was Gallia Narbonensis. I dont know about it not being included in Provincia Romana, but it is in Provence. Looking for a town there with an aqueduct.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/4/41/Droysens_Hist_Handatlas_S16_Gallien.jpg

EDIT: and just to correct one of my earlier answers above, it is not a Roman aqueduct, just an aqueduct in a town with significant Roman history. The town was known to Pliny, hence I thought worthy of HBT.

Last edited:
Ok, not too many fellow Francophiles here. Hint: very close (<20 miles) to the last location I posted.

Ok sorry, seems a bit too obscure. The town is called Carpentras. Let’s try this again, hoping this will be easier:

F485912D-2788-4CCF-BA44-681BC9611AC9.jpeg

Looks a little like Greece - But the rooftops are not right the ocean color looks more like California.

I'm guessing Southern California - But not sure where...

@D.B.Moody you are up.
I was in Timbukto is 2007, about 5 years before the uprising that took over northern Mali and well as other parts of the region. The Islamic fundamentalists destroyed a lot of things of this nature. I'm not sure the monument survived. Here are a few other pics.
1608224800913.jpeg1608224840109.jpeg1608224882248.jpeg1608225106131.jpeg

We sat up here looking out at the city and the bridge. The bridge is a bit more than a decade older than the Eifle Tower, but by the same guy.
Bridge2.JPG

Easy - Porto.

But you're confusing the twin-deck Luis I bridge built by Eiffel's former business partner Théophile Seyrig in 1886 with the older single-deck Maria Pia bridge
1608371480129.png

1608371579190.png

Of course, it just felt a bit obvious to do Stonehenge so I thought I'd do one of the other henges that people might be less familiar with.

It is indeed Callanish - to be honest I prefer those northern sites like Callanish on Lewis and Brodgar/Stenness on Orkney. The stones themselves might not be as big as Stonehenge, but the landscapes are stunning, and the fact that there is <1% of the tourists means that you can get closer and get to feel that spiritual-connection-with-nature thing much more than at Stonehenge, which can feel a bit Disney. And there seems to be definite evidence of malting barley close to Brodgar....

Tempting though it is to give it to Bruce for the lol, you're up D.B.Moody.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callanish_Stones

Just how Norrthern are you, Northern? I remember an August evening after dinner walk in Inverness, the sun wasn't even thinking about setting, and it was cool to cold enough that the few clouds around managed to produce snow.

Here's a slightly more populated place:
city.JPG

You think right, and, judging by your avatar, drink right. The picture was from our 2018 visit to NYC. We had last been there in 1970.
You're up @duncan.brown.

Last edited:
Just how Norrthern are you, Northern? I remember an August evening after dinner walk in Inverness, the sun wasn't even thinking about setting, and it was cool to cold enough that the few clouds around managed to produce snow.

Not that far north! I'm closer in latitude to Stonehenge than Brodgar, but I know the Highlands pretty well. It's pretty freakish to get snow in August, I've had plenty of suntans at that time of year. But yes, it can change on a dime. You notice the earlier nights when you come south though.

Back