Mystery bag!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wingnut037

Reaction score
I was given a bag of milled grain recently from a friend, but unfortunately there is not an accompanying recipe or grain bill. They forgot what style so I limited in how to procede. Somewhat new to brewing, so I would appreciate any thoughts.

What I have to go on:
WPL001 yeast
Cascade hops
Grains scaled to a 1 gal batch.

I BIAB so guessing a 153 mash would be a good starting point, but not sure what I should do hop addition wise. I have a few other strains I can mix in, citra, mosaic, and chinook.

Would I get any helpful info with a pretty boil gravity?

Thanks much for the replies.

Well, it probably isn't a dark beer like a brown, porter, or stout... so yeah, 153 sounds good.

How much do the grains weigh? Impossible to even guess a pre-boil gravity without that. Is it possible, just looking at the grains, that it is more than one type?

Hmm, best bet might be to mash it out and give the wort a taste. Could be anything from a blonde grain bill to a stout. I have seen crystal malts blend in pretty wrll so it's hard to tell.

Looks pretty pale and uniform, lighter overall than the red double I just bottled. Nothing stands out as obvious as the black IPA she got me last time.

We do like our hops if anyone has an addition suggestion I can scale down to a gallon. Any combination of the ones above I have at half an ounce or greater.

Thanks again for the quick responses.

Pretty much any of the hops above will work with Cascade. If you want more tradition, go with Citra & Chinook. If you want more tropical/exotic fruit, go with Citra & Mosaic.

OG came out to 1.044 for the 1.2gal being fermented. Went with the 3 C's that I had on hand for hops, divided by additions. Copied the sequence from another recipe.

1.0oz Cascade
0.7oz Chinook
0.4oz Citra

60m Chinook
40m Cascade
20m Cascade/Citra
10m Citra
5m Cascade
0m Chinook

Dry hopping the remaining Chinook @ 14 days.

Keep in mind some of these hops are up to a year old, but kept in an air tight container in the fridge, so the IBUs should be degraded some.

Thanks for the help and hoping this turns out well.

Back