My winter project nooooooo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neunelfer

Reaction score
So on the winter solstice I brewed up an Oktoberfest style lager and wanted to lager it "naturally" in my garage. I let it run through primary and once secondary hit I placed the carboy out in my cold garage in a bucket full of cold water to help establish a steady equilibrium. There is an area (very small corner) that I had asked nobody place anything or mess with since I wanted the beer to be undisturbed. Many times items have been placed there and I brought it up, moved them, asked nicely, asked not so nicely... well now finally someone went and did it. A set of golf clubs was placed next to my batch and they fell over knocked out the fermination lock and somehow the stopper. There are already white spots floating on the surface of the wort that were not there before. :(

I will go ahead and keg as if nothing is wrong and still try to beer but to say the least, it's very disappointing. Time to have a Heineken and drink my worries away. :tank:

That sucks, but you don't want to do anything drastic. I mean, drinking a Heineken will begin a whole new set of worries :(

You need to leave that person a present in their golf bag. For the future, a technique ive used is turning a plastic garbage bin upside down and putting it over the carboy/bucket it protects beer from light and idiot golfers.

You need to leave that person a present in their golf bag. For the future, a technique ive used is turning a plastic garbage bin upside down and putting it over the carboy/bucket it protects beer from light and idiot golfers.

I placed towels all over the top of it so light wouldn't get in and it would have more stable temperatures, yeah, I guess lesson learned. However this was my one chance at lagering since I do not have a freezer setup... guess it's time to invest in one and that would solve the problem as well.

I think your fine since it already fermented out and is now alcohol. Don't think fungus or bacteria can grow in it, but just to be safe you should just get piss ass drunk and puke in the golf bag. Ive heard that'll cure infections.

people have been killed for less. I would be irate and i've never lagered anything before!

who is somebody and do they drink your beer? if they do, and they ruined that batch, just leave it for them. whenever they want a beer, say there's your beer in the garage and hand em a spoon.

I think your fine since it already fermented out and is now alcohol. Don't think fungus or bacteria can grow in it, but just to be safe you should just get piss ass drunk and puke in the golf bag. Ive heard that'll cure infections.

i've had white thingies on top & was worried, bottle it & it was fine

Yeah I can only hope. I'll finish the process and hope for the best.

who is somebody and do they drink your beer? if they do, and they ruined that batch, just leave it for them. whenever they want a beer, say there's your beer in the garage and hand em a spoon.

By "someone," to whom are you referring? I find it interesting that your profile picture is of you golfing...I'm just saying...

Well I said "someone" because nobody wanted to accept blame. They were my dad's golf clubs, but he didn't put them there, (though nobody else would have). Oh well, only one more semester and I'll have my own house. :ban:

You can get all sorts of stuff in there that thrive on the brew post-ferment with saccharomyces cerevisiae.

White floating spots are something to be on the lookout for, it can be the beginnings of a pellicle formation. It could also be nothing to worry about, proceed as usual. Even in the event it is infected with an unwanted bug, there is a chance you may like it.

You can get all sorts of stuff in there that thrive on the brew post-ferment with saccharomyces cerevisiae.

White floating spots are something to be on the lookout for, it can be the beginnings of a pellicle formation. It could also be nothing to worry about, proceed as usual. Even in the event it is infected with an unwanted bug, there is a chance you may like it.

The really weird thing is on the surface there are some minor white spots still, but about 2-3 inches below the surface of the wort there is a "white" ring around the circumference of the carboy under water.

The really weird thing is on the surface there are some minor white spots still, but about 2-3 inches below the surface of the wort there is a "white" ring around the circumference of the carboy under water.

This could be an illusion. I thought I had an infect batch once with a 1 inch black ring around the top, turned out to be an illusion of light bending with the glass.

As far as the Heineken goes, I'm guessing you were just adjusting your taste buds in preperation of drinkg rotten infected beer? :D

This could be an illusion. I thought I had an infect batch once with a 1 inch black ring around the top, turned out to be an illusion of light bending with the glass.

As far as the Heineken goes, I'm guessing you were just adjusting your taste buds in preperation of drinkg rotten infected beer? :D

:D Hey I actually enjoy Heineken, it's one of the "generic" beers I actually don't mind. Normally I buy something more snobish but it's my go-to beer when at a bar and there is nothing good on tap, so I've grown to enjoy it.

It turned out amazing!!!

beerev8.jpg

I think your fine since it already fermented out and is now alcohol. Don't think fungus or bacteria can grow in it

If that were true, we would never have to sanitize our bottles or kegs or beer lines. The chances of infection are reduced, but they are still there.

It turned out amazing!!!

beerev8.jpg

Glad to hear it! Now you have to do the golf bag tick next time, too!

If that were true, we would never have to sanitize our bottles or kegs or beer lines. The chances of infection are reduced, but they are still there.

I've been drinking commercial beer and homebrew for over two years out of a kegerator and have yet to sanitize a line or tap. I do keep them meticulously clean though.

Back