Who loves winter holiday beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cyclman

I Sell Koalas
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I love winter seasonals, do you? Which ones?

O’Dell isolation ale- dark, malty, slightly sweet, quaffable, delish.
Avery Old Jubilation, English Strong- classic, complex, so malty and delicious.
Left Hand Fade to Black, dark rye ale, so many flavors, contemplative.
Great Divide Hibernation Ale, English Old Ale, old world, smooth, strong.
Great Divide Yeti is one of the best Imperial Stouts ever.
Oskar Blues Ten Fidy Imperial Stout, like oil, so roasty.
Dry Dock Cranberry Sour, really nice, more tart than sour, sessionable.
Anchor Steam Merry Christmas, a nice surprise each year.
St Bernardis Christmas Ale, gotta have it, love Belgians. Any good dubbed or quad is a great winter beer.
And, bourbon barrel aged anything. I need to keg more of my barrel aged Belgian Strong.
I have a great home brewed Imperial Stout, barrel aged, maybe this year I’ll toss in some spices and orange. Cranberries?
Never found winter homebrews I really love, and so love my traditional commercials I haven’t tried hard enough.

I have a very special spot in my heart drinking rich, dark ,warming beers on a cold or snowy day. And Colorado is a great place to do it. You?

I'll go the other way and say the most enjoyable time of year for me to enjoy a winter brew is in the summer with a mild Connecticut wrapper cigar.

OMG yes. Ten Fidy, Old Rasputin, Big Bad Baptist, Deth's Tar and probably a dozen more. As for homebrew, I love the "2011 HBT category award winner" RIS recipe I found here. Needs 4 - 6 months or so of aging for the special B to mellow out a bit, but when it does... nirvana. Of course, ymmv, but really, give it a test drive.

St Peters Winter Ale is a really nice one aswell, and if you manage to get your hands on it, you should try a swedish brew called Sleepy Bulldog Winter Ale.
The hibernation ale i have found is best if you buy a bunch around christmas, leave them in the pantry, and drink them the next winter season...

I also forgot to include, I homebrew a double Bock, which isn’t necessarily a winter beer, but sure is great in the winter of a snowy day.

I love the winter seasonals, among my favorite are OMB Yule Bock, Sam Adams Old Fezziwig, Great Lakes Christmas Ale, and Highlands Cold Mountain

My favorite winter seasonal is Faceplant, a double-decoction brewed Doppelbock from Bayern Brewing in Missoula, MT. They only produce two batches a year, and when it’s gone, it’s gone. Should be showing up on store shelves any time now.

Chimay, Trappist rochefort...pretty much any of those higher gravity Trappist dubbels.
St bernardus Christmas ale, too, for sure.

Although I am a year round stout drinker, they are especially good during the winter months. Foothills Sexual Chocolate comes to mind.

Back