My wife hates beer...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phrogpilot73

Loving the hobby
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
But she supports my brewing hobby, as long as I keep one keg of cider on tap. Hell, she's bought most of my equipment for me!

So anyway, I brewed up a batch of IIPA for a friend of ours homecoming from deployment (he comes tomorrow). I also gave him the honor of naming it. He just found out two days ago that he was passed over for Lieutenant Commander (hell of a way to end a deployment) - so "Bitter JO" it is!

My wife tastes all my beers (even though she hates beer, everything I've tried to give her - stout, brown, IPA, IIPA, Pale Ale, Lager, Pilsner, Bitter, ESB). 15 some odd batches, and she hasn't liked a single one... She tasted Bitter JO yesterday... And said "It's not bad. Actually (second sip) it's pretty good!" So, my friends at HBT - I share with you my beer-hating wife's favorite IIPA, the "Bitter JO":

All Grain version:

8.50 lb Pale Malt (2 Row)
2.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
2.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
1.00 lb Rye Malt
0.50 lb Special B Malt
1.00 lb Candi Sugar, Clear
1.00 tsp Irish Moss
1.00 oz Warrior [15.40 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (60 min)
1.00 oz EKG [5.90 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz Chinook [11.50 %] (30 min)
1.00 oz EKG [5.90 %] (Flameout)
1.00 oz Centennial [6.00 %] (Flameout)
1 Pkgs California Ale V (White Labs #WLP051)Yeast
1.50 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (Dry Hop 14 days)
1.00 oz Citra [11.40 %] (Dry Hop in keg until keg is complete)

Est Original Gravity: 1.080 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.021 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.79%
Bitterness: 116.1 IBU

It's kind of funny, my brothers hate all beer except for Barleywines (Stone Old Guardian in particular). Usually it takes time for even beer drinkers to appreciate a Barleywine.

Either way, congrats to the SWMBO approval and a very good looking recipe.

Hope your buddy likes it too.

But she supports my brewing hobby, as long as I keep one keg of cider on tap. Hell, she's bought most of my equipment for me!
I think most everyone missed this part of the post! Oh, I'm keeping her around for a good long while.

When I start getting grumpy, she kicks me out of the house with explicit instructions to go to the homebrew store and brew a batch... Our agreement is that I can brew as much as I want, have the kegerator, as long as there's one tap that ALWAYS has cider...

My woman doesn't even drink any alcohol and gets mad whenever I brew or drink anything...

SWMBO hates beer, cause some history with beer, metro and puke. But she loves when I homebrew and also loves when I get drunk, at home.

My wife loves ALL beer. We have the hardest time deciding on which style to brew next because our minds constantly change.

My wife definitely digs the beer - and she even surprises me sometimes with how much of my beer geekiness she soaks up. The other day I mentioned to a friend that I can't brew lagers and she went on to explain to them the difference in yeast and fermenting temps. She even remembers what IBUs are now :)

My wife definitely digs the beer - and she even surprises me sometimes with how much of my beer geekiness she soaks up. The other day I mentioned to a friend that I can't brew lagers and she went on to explain to them the difference in yeast and fermenting temps. She even remembers what IBUs are now :)

Wow, mine is getting there. She began reading Papazian yesterday on our road trip and listened to Jamil/John on the whole trip.

Exciting!

I'm still trying to figure out my wife's tolerance to hops. She loves Pliny the Elder and even more so Blind Pig - but she says that Sierra Nevada Pale Ale "tastes like soap"...

What is Jamil/John? Is it a podcast?
Yup, it's Brew Strong from the Brewing Network. It's a great podcast - I subscribe to Brew Strong and the Sunday Session.

Update on the "Bitter JO". The keg was kicked in two days. I don't know if it was kicked so quickly because my buddy had just gotten home, but either way - it's gone. Sad, it was pretty tasty.

My buddy posted on another internet forum that his favorite beer of all time was... Bitter JO. And that a close second was Ruination. I'm excited that I hit the mark!

He's a certified mechanical engineer (worked for GE, designing/building aircraft engines for Sikorsky before he joined the Navy), and he's promised to build me a brew stand for the cost of parts, provided I keep the Bitter JO flowing. Needless to say a batch is being brewed on Sunday. He's also going to come over and help, to primarily figure out my process and how he's going to design the brew stand...

My fiancee is into sweet stuff, so I've got a blueberry wheat on tap that tastes like soda. In about a month, we'll be picking blackberries for a cider. She wants me to build a kegger for her house as soon as she closes.

Sounds like you've got a couple good deals going.

Back