My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine is the same. Once you start running some grain it actually runs much smoother. I needed a metric bolt for the auger.

Some replace the larger cotter pin that fixes the grinding plate crooked with either a smaller pin or bolt to allow more wobble in the grinding plate so it can self align easier with grain present, not sure if it is mandatory. Likely not....

I would not be concerned with wear on the grinding plate.

I had the same concern, but after a couple years and many sacks through the mill, the grinding plates on my mill look like new. Cast iron is very hard and doesn't seem affected by the mill plates grinding on each other at all.

Mine is coming together quite nicely. I just need a couple of small items and it will be perfect (for this thread):D:D:D

As promised, my ugly junk.

0225171505c.jpg

This was pretty much my original plan, it didnt turn out quite like I had anticipated, although perfectly fuctionable...

But wait............There is more

Still not quite done, a little fit and finish left but there it is. Whatcha think about that???????? I had everything laying around here except the 1/2" PVC for the legs. Yes it works freestanding as a counter top model too!!!

Oh and SPONSORS!!!!!! I am selling advertisement space on the side of my silo, for the price of......... 1 sticker, magnet or ect......:D:D:D

Yes sir, you do win the award for the most absurd pointless design :D

HEY!!! wait I resemble that remark!!!! :ban::ban::ban:

I tried really hard, this thread inspired me. But really the silo part is mostly a dust/storage cover. But aint it awesome though??????:D:D:D

I dont know if you can see it but it is actually a bucket in bucket design. I cut down a Safeway frosting bucket that just so happened to fit loosely in the top of the ACE bucket (no spacers needed)

I definitely could have built a more user friendly design but my goal was to WIN!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

How is this for a grind for a BIAB set-up? Could I go smaller?

I just got my corona mill today and I'm farting around with the mill gap while I get the "ugly junk" accessories sorted. This is my first time using a mill like this: Is it supposed to sound like metallic grinding while in operation?

IMAG1255.jpg

I just got my corona mill today and I'm farting around with the mill gap while I get the "ugly junk" accessories sorted. This is my first time using a mill like this: Is it supposed to sound like metallic grinding while in operation?

Looks good. Yeah, sounds like the world is grinding to a halt..... For BIAB, tighten it all the way down, and back off slightly.

PM me your address. I have stickers I'm happy to part with for that AMAZING piece of ugly junk craftsmanship.

Yessir, will do, thank you.

Yeah pretty cool right.:D I am in the process of a few modifications but love my design, it works excellent too!!

Look for updates soon.........

:mug::mug::mug:

Crush it once, then crush it again. I routinely get in high 80s and low 90s efficiency on my crush for BIAB.

Looks good to me check my pics of my first go.
I have since backed off 1/4 turn on the position screw.

I'm hitting in the 70 to 80's so far. I get higher if I sparge with a gallon or two. That is if I can be bothered.

Does anyone ever run their LHBS grind through the ugly mill when the store forgets and grinds the grain for ya? That shouldn't cause any problems, right?

I'm nice and take the grain anyway. Local guy, pretty nice, just forgets sometimes, because everyone else has theirs ground.

You'll be fine doing a 2nd grind in your mill if you'd like to. I often do this as well, since the LHBS can mill all my grains in just a couple minutes, and it makes it easier on my drill powered corona mill at home which should help not kill the drill too quickly.

Does anyone ever run their LHBS grind through the ugly mill when the store forgets and grinds the grain for ya? That shouldn't cause any problems, right?

I'm nice and take the grain anyway. Local guy, pretty nice, just forgets sometimes, because everyone else has theirs ground.

I have never gotten milled grain since getting my Ugly Junk - Corona Mill so that doesn't apply.

I would look at the crush from the LHBS. If it doesn't look as good as usual run it through your mill. It should not be able to grind it too much.

You'll be fine doing a 2nd grind in your mill if you'd like to. I often do this as well, since the LHBS can mill all my grains in just a couple minutes, and it makes it easier on my drill powered corona mill at home which should help not kill the drill too quickly.

You need to get a better drill. My first one struggled and actually smoked a little. I got a $30 1/2" hammer drill (hammer option turned off) from Harbor Freight. It will chew through 7-10 pounds (what I can fit in my coffee can hopper) in no more than a minute or two, maybe less than a minute - I have never timed it.

I have no fears that I will ever kill the drill by using the corona mill.

You need to get a better drill.

That's a distinct possibility, it's a 20V 1/2" corded drill IIRC from DEWALT. It doesn't really heat up much, and has never smoked except when I was first setting the corona up and had it down too tight. It's mostly for peace of mind.

That's a distinct possibility, it's a 20V 1/2" corded drill IIRC from DEWALT. It doesn't really heat up much, and has never smoked except when I was first setting the corona up and had it down too tight. It's mostly for peace of mind.

It seems that drill should work.

I set my corona to get what looked good 4+ years ago. I have never reset it since. If I need a finer crush - 2 times through has always worked. My small 3/8" drills, one a 45 year old GE one and another Harbor Freight one really struggled, especially to get started.

have you guys though about motorizing the corona mill rather than using a drill? i picked up a used furnace blower motor for $20 and put it to good use; works great!

HomeBuilt.jpg

have you guys though about motorizing the corona mill rather than using a drill? i picked up a used furnace blower motor for $20 and put it to good use; works great!

Way too much work to make that $20 motor run a $20 mill! The drill took 10 minutes to find a bolt to insert into the mill to attach the drill to. I already had the bolt so it didn't cost anything and I use the drill for other purposes.

i like to tinker a lot, and i may have gotten a little carried away with the whole DIY aspect when i started brewing! lol

Just skimmed through all 204 pages mostly for pictures for ideas and along the way built my Corona grain mill. Bought it with a package deal with some other brewing parts so called it a freebie. Corona mill, 5gallon mash tun, burner in stand, immersion chiller, pony keg with spigot for $40! Anyway. Here's a few pictures of the single bucket system. Took the spigot out and put in a bolt and a couple washers to fill the gap. Didn't want to kick and break the spigot off the bucket and have grist everywhere. Then drilled a hole out for the bolt and used a Marshalltown hopper for drywall mud as a hopper. Pretty confident it's about 3-4 gallons but haven't tried the hopper out yet. Swapped the cotter pin for a bolt and added some washers. Will add some pictures of the milled grains when I brew my first Berliner Weisse this week! Also been working on some other diy in the background with a low roll around single tier and home made 52" CFC. Going from 5 gallon turkey fryer and mashtun to all keggle pump based brewing all at once, can't wait to try it all out!

IMG_4656.jpg

IMG_4655.jpg

IMG_4654.jpg

IMG_4653.jpg

Dude...you gave it a penis? I think you've one the lifetime ugly junk prize.
:mug:

That's not a penis, it's one of those contraptions for women who want to stand to pee.

+1 on the lifetime ugly junk prize.

These two replies are the funniest things I have read for a long time!!!:rockin:

Not mine, but you guys got me laughing pretty hard.

I would totally print one of those though if they uploaded the design, assuming it worked well at catching all the grain.

Back