My Ugly Junk- Corona Mill Station...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got mine from Discount Tommy on eBay; all the parts there, I've had it close to 3 years, have been very happy with it.

Well, I was going to help you...

I pulled up my order history and clicked on the link for my mill and it took me to a small hopper (I got the large one) version from a different seller. So, I try searching on the sellers page for "Mill" and get nothing. Tried it on the sellers page for the one it linked to and I get nothing! :confused: I was just looking at one!

Long story short...I'd like to help you, but apparently Amazon's site is broken...

Thanks for the help. I was hoping for some free shipping from amazon but I guess I'll bite the bullet and get one from discount tommy.

spenghali said:
Thanks for the help. I was hoping for some free shipping from amazon but I guess I'll bite the bullet and get one from discount tommy.

Amazon has it for $25 ... Free 2 nd day shipping for prime members. Was trying to link to it but couldn't from my iPod. Just search "corona mill"

I mounted my mill in a bucket and have it powered by a drill. The issue im running into is the gap is widening out as I mill the grain. I was thinking about trying locktight but was curious if anyone else ran into this problem.

Any ideas?

We just recently had a slow sparge, not stuck. But I think it probably has to do with putting some serious grain amounts through the mill and never cleaning it out. Looks like I will have to try to loosen and clean it out soon.

In fairness this is a mill that my buddy and I use for our shared system. So basically it has probably seen some wicked punishment.

I mounted my mill in a bucket and have it powered by a drill. The issue im running into is the gap is widening out as I mill the grain. I was thinking about trying locktight but was curious if anyone else ran into this problem.

Any ideas?

I haven't seen this in my mill but mine has a wingnut that I tighten to lock up against the milling plate. It holds the plate solidly at whatever gap I set it at. If yours is walking when milling grab another nut and try to tighten it up against the wingnut, that may stop it from moving.

Any ideas?

Are you talking about the big adjustment wing nut on the front of the mill coming loose? Because that's the only way I can envision the gap between the plates of the mill opening up. Mine stays right where I set it, but if your wing nut is coming loose, I suggest a lock washer, or perhaps a lock nut / lock washer combination. There seems to be plenty of room on the threaded portion of the shaft to accommodate that......

+1
Victoria mill has a second wing nut on the adjustment bolt to prevent this... Unless yours is backing off

I cut the bottom off a bucket and drilled a hole in the side for the crank to stick out. Then mounted the mill in the bucket so the intake was just lower than the top and the crank stuck out the hole. That bucket then is placed inside another bucket. Cut the bottom off a 5 gallon water bottle and cut a hole in a top for the water bottle to fit in that sits right on the Mill's intake.
Put the whole thing in a crate and bingo, a wonderful mill that does not make a mess or produce dust.

2011-10-31_20-19-04_96.jpg

2011-10-31_20-18-14_872.jpg

2011-10-31_20-16-37_809.jpg

2012-02-11_14-01-15_369.jpg

2011-10-31_20-16-13_724.jpg

Nice work...FWIW I like the single bucket approach, sometimes less is more:mug:

Thank You ... and thanks for the idea .... When I saw yours I said WOW, how cool is that. I used what I had on hand to make it only purchased the mill. My two whit buckets are both real short so having one inside the other makes it about as tall as a homer bucket. Will hold 15 lbs easily. Again Thank You for posting the idea

BrewinBR,

I would also suggest calibrating your hopper w/ a sharpie for pounds of base grain if you are buying in bulk...saves time and effort not bothering to weigh grains and simply pouring from the sack.

BrewerinBR,
Thanks for your post. I saw a PETE water jug in the recycling bin and thought about using it as a secondary, but it was 4 gallon. I came home and saw your post, then headed back out to do some dumpster diving. This addition will make crushing much easier. It had been so long since I had seen Wilser's set up that I'd forgotten about it.

Wilserbrewer I have looked at calibrating it and I am still thinking about it. I may do that eventually but my assistant brewer (my grandson) really likes to weigh the grains and run the grinder. He helped me build it and has fun with it so being a grandpa I don't really want to mess with his fun. Once he gets bored with it we will calibrate it so it goes faster.

...my assistant brewer (my grandson) really likes to weigh the grains and run the grinder. ....

So in that case I would suggest calibrating the hopper lightly, so it will be easy for management to easily supervise the materials handling department. Just a quick visual check as you go...:mug:

StanJohnson said:

I just bought the "Prago" mill from Walmart.com a few weeks ago and it is the same thing. In fact, the box that it comes in has Weston all over it and only a small reference to Prago on the side of the box. It says, "Weston is a division of Pragotrade LLC." The box also says that it is, "Great for homebrewing." It is a well built mill and crushes nicely.

I did add two washers to each side of the shield clamp to keep the plates more parallel when crushing.

My box was exactly the same. I've only done a test crush without extra any washers and it seems to be fine. I plan on doing BIAB next weekend, so I'm going to follow advice I've found on this site and crush mine twice.

only crush it twice if you're runnin a normal roller mill, ours will do just fine with it set a bit tighter :mug:

Thanks for the tips guys. I did a "tightened up" test crush with some 2 row and it looks as good as any of the "good crush" pics I've seen.

Yup, I got the addiction bad already. Haven't even cracked the first beer and stepping up to AG. Mr Beer is like the crack of the beer world. I got a good whiff of the Mr B and it is off to the LBS to trade dirty green paper for shiny baubels and "things". So far I have only had to trade about a hundred dirty green papers for all my junk including burner, ferment pails, air locks, hydrometers, mills, brew kettles, and the rest of the stuff, so I am getting off cheap so far. If a corona is good enough for Papazian, then why waste more cash to be a "city brewer", I'm happy being a cheap ghetto country brewer any day. Plan to do my last extract next week and then nothing but AG from then on. Wish me luck.
Bob

Rivenin said:
only crush it twice if you're runnin a normal roller mill, ours will do just fine with it set a bit tighter :mug:

Agreed. I get the same efficiency if I double crush or single crush at a tighter setting using this mill for BIAB.

These are a great deal! Got mine about 3 years ago from DT for $23 shipped, then built on my own ugliness. I don't see how anyone can go wrong.

Yup, I got the addiction bad already. Haven't even cracked the first beer and stepping up to AG. Mr Beer is like the crack of the beer world. I got a good whiff of the Mr B and it is off to the LBS to trade dirty green paper for shiny baubels and "things". So far I have only had to trade about a hundred dirty green papers for all my junk including burner, ferment pails, air locks, hydrometers, mills, brew kettles, and the rest of the stuff, so I am getting off cheap so far. Bob

I think I dropped over $200 this past week alone and I already had enough stuff to make beer (which I have). Then I decided to go kegs...another $100 for that setup. Hope SWMBO doesn't kill me :cross:

Getting ready to BIAB tomorrow, so I crushed some grains today. I'm doing about a 2 gal batch, so my grain bill was only 5.5 lbs. Hand cranking wasn't that bad.

IMG_6144.jpg

Picked mine up at Overstock.com for $28.00 delivered. No problem with wobble or crooked plates. Did add a couple of washers on either side so I could make something besides fine flour. Just ground my first 10 lbs of grain by hand and hit 89% efficiency on a 5 gallon stove top BIAB orange wheat.

I just crushed my first grist: more of a session ale and only a two gallon batch, so only 3 1/4 lbs. I started with it cranked down tight and turned a few times--flour. So I loosened it up an 8th turn at a time and cranked a few times around until it looked just a little finer than the precrushed gist bag I have from BMW which I was using for comparison. How's this look?

100_2693.jpg

I just crushed my first grist: more of a session ale and only a two gallon batch, so only 3 1/4 lbs. I started with it cranked down tight and turned a few times--flour. So I loosened it up an 8th turn at a time and cranked a few times around until it looked just a little finer than the precrushed gist bag I have from BMW which I was using for comparison. How's this look?

Looks nice. Please follow up with how this batch tastes to you.

Back