My starter has changed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh and this is my very first starter I always used dry yeast before.

thanks.

Jamie.

Is the stir bar still spinning? Just making sure it didn't jump off.

Still spinning, I can hear it. Only pitched last night at about 9 so its only been about 16 hrs. I'm not brewing till monday so I guess I should chill,decant and pitch right? Leaving it on the stir plate till monday wouldn't be an option would it?

Totally normal for that strain and for WL002. It's an extremely flocculant yeast, so it starts to get clumpy and look like egg drop soup in the starter. Perfectly normal.

EDIT: And this yeast works fast and flocculates fast. I bet that, with an overnight cold crash from sunday to Monday, the yeast will all settle and you'll be able to decant and pitch.

Still spinning, I can hear it. Only pitched last night at about 9 so its only been about 16 hrs. I'm not brewing till monday so I guess I should chill,decant and pitch right? Leaving it on the stir plate till monday wouldn't be an option would it?

I use 1968 all the time and this is exactly what it does. It ferments out quickly, so your starter is likely done. Don't leave it on the stir plate until Monday, you'll just be beating up your yeasties all weekend. Chill, decant and pitch and you're good to go.

Thanks guys for the info_One more thing I guess I should remove it from the fridge a few hours before pitching so the yeast can warm up a little.
I'm planning on fermenting at around 65-68 degrees so do you guys do a diacetyl rest with this strain and bring the temp up to say 70 towards the end of fermentation or is this uneccessary?

Jamie.

My starter looked exactly like that when I used 1968. Beer turned out great!
Just be careful when you pitch it - it can come out a little clumpy. Get it as well suspended as possible first.

Thanks guys for the info_One more thing I guess I should remove it from the fridge a few hours before pitching so the yeast can warm up a little.
Yes

I'm planning on fermenting at around 65-68 degrees so do you guys do a diacetyl rest with this strain and bring the temp up to say 70 towards the end of fermentation or is this uneccessary?

Jamie.
Yes it's good idea to do a diacetyl rest with this yeast.

I'm planning on fermenting at around 65-68 degrees

Jamie.

I use this yeast a lot, and I really like it. Only warning I'll give you is that, with a fresh starter, it is a freakin beast. I\n my experience, it takes off like a rocket and ferments super hard for as little as 12 hours, then slows down dramatically. During the really vigorous activity, the temp goes way up and is sometimes hard to control, so be ready to cool it down. As soon as it slows, be ready to warm it up to keep it from stalling.

Despite having to baby it a bit, it is a really awesome, versatile yeast.

Back