My NE IPA look like crap!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Seriously, I brewed a NEIPA last weekend and followed the recommended steps to get a juicy, cloudy beer: Tropical hops, oats, wheat, no fining, 1318 yeast, adding dry hops in primary during active fermentation, etc.

The beer looks like a greenish-tannish bucket of goo. People look at it strange when they come over.

So I held up a glass of M-43, a newer Michigan NEIPA, and lo and behold, it's pretty much spot on in appearance!

Until I got real close, I couldn't see where the beer and trub were separate.

I'll never be able to serve this to my friends! ;)

I had that beer for the first time a few weeks back - poured like pea soup in a glass. I did like its flavor and nose though.

Are you talking in the fermenter or the final product in the glass? My NEIPAs always look like green pea soup in the fermenter. The green fades a bit as it ferments but it's still quite cloudy. Once they crash in the keg, they turn into a straw or orange color.

if you think it's a loss, forget the style and throw some gelatin on it. that'll clear it up a bit.

Oh, heck no! I never thought by looking at them that I'd like the style, but it only took the first one to get me hooked.

Granted, I think you could do well without so much gunk in there, but the flavor and mouthfeel are actually really good.

I brewed this one during Big Brew event and made 2.5 gallons for my small keg to see how it goes. I planned to taste test it last night, but didn't get a chance. I'll try to remember tonight.

I've had issues nailing my bitterness, so this will be a good test. Also want to decide on adding more dry hops or not. I'll want to pour it through a strainer going into the keg. I think there are still plenty of hops particles floating around in there.

Are you talking in the fermenter or the final product in the glass? My NEIPAs always look like green pea soup in the fermenter. The green fades a bit as it ferments but it's still quite cloudy. Once they crash in the keg, they turn into a straw or orange color.

Exactly! That's good to know.

Actually, at this time there is no room in the kegerator for that keg. I can start carbonating using corn sugar, or stick it out in the Lager Chest in the garage to carb while I wait for the IPA I have on tap to kick. I better check that tonight as well, so I can plan on having something in there.

Exactly! That's good to know.

Actually, at this time there is no room in the kegerator for that keg. I can start carbonating using corn sugar, or stick it out in the Lager Chest in the garage to carb while I wait for the IPA I have on tap to kick. I better check that tonight as well, so I can plan on having something in there.

This was after 4 days fermenting

FBpVemQ.jpg

Looked like this in the glass
PsKKLCI.jpg

The only IPA I did with vermont came out pea soup like and i dry hopped in the keg which just made it worse. I was rubbish, ruined a decent IPA.

mouth feel was good but just felt like drinking wort from the fermenter.

Depending on how well you crash and how well you filter when transferring to the serving keg, it could take a while before the hop particles settle out. Mine typically improve over the first 2 weeks. Those suspended hop particles add a lot of bitterness.

One thing that helped me was putting a stainless filter on the end of my out tube. The first pull or two might still have some of that pea soup sediment (I keg hop pretty heavily), but after that it 'clears' up.

No need to worry about how to package it. Had a taste last night and it was utter crap!

I haven't had a beer taste this bad in many, many years. Not sure what could have happened. Ferment too warm? Wrong amount/type of hops? Something got in there?

It was bitter and harsh and had a strange flavor along with that. I fermented in the living room, where the temps should have been 60-70 most of the time. My ferm chamber has a lager in it right now, so I thought it woul d be fine just sitting out. I have brewed many times like that years ago and never had anything as nasty as this as s result.

I probably should have kegged it and gave it more time, but it was so nasty I didn't think it was worth the hassle, and I think I'd probably just have to end up cleaning the keg for no good reason. I'll just have to try again.

Hi there.

My friend attempted a NEIPA some months ago and his was also like a pea soup. Harsh and bitter, with no real flavour to it.

He bottled it and 3-4 weeks after, the beer was tasty and drinkable. Not quite a NEIPA, but enjoyable.

Back