How to make my Hazy NE IPA more Hazy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brak23

Reaction score
I have always seemingly had an issue with creating hazy looking beers. Last year I made a blueberry wheat and the beer turned out crystal clear. But this year I just made a NE IPA and its not crystal clear, but its definitely not remotely hazy at all.

Here is the recipe I used, what can I tweak or add to get a little more haze to it?

11 lbs Hugh Baird Maris
1 lb 5 oz flaked Oat
5 oz Honey Malt
5 oz Carapils

Boil hops:
0.5 oz Columbus Hops (60 min)

170 degree Hop stand hops:
2 oz Citra
2 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simoe

Dry Hop:
1 oz Citra (3 days)
1 oz Mosaic (3 days)
1 oz Simcoe (3 days)
1 oz Citra (Keg Hopped)
1 oz Mosaic (Keg Hopped)
1 oz Simcoe (Keg Hopped)

Yeast:
Imperial Yeast - Juicy

According to what ive heard and seen, the Flaked oats and the Imperial yeast I used should have helped contribute to the hazy aspect.

Thoughts on what I can do to improve the hazy look? I love the beer, and perfectly fine with it the way it is, but curious why I seem to be unable to get Hazy beers.

What is your water like? Do you use tap water or build your water from RO?

Are you dry hopping for three days, or on day three at high krausen? Adding the first round of dry hops at high krausen seems to help the haze.

Other than that, whats your mash schedule? Are you doing protein rests? Are you using fining agents (whirlfloc, gelatin)?

standard disclaimer, seek the end beer, not the haze. Do you only care that your beer is hazy? Or are you trying to make a good NEIPA? Good NEIPAs are not made with haze being the goal, but rather over the top aroma and soft hop flavor.

The number 1 thing to change is your hop schedule. More hops for longer in whirlpool. And move your dry hops to be added 24 hours after fermentation starts. I've made the same beer twice where all i changes was the above and the clarity was night and day. Contrary to what some say, you do not need insane quantities of hops to get there. Yes you can brute force with 20oz+ in a 5 gallon batch, but using a smaller amount in the right places works just fine.

I have always seemingly had an issue with creating hazy looking beers. Last year I made a blueberry wheat and the beer turned out crystal clear. But this year I just made a NE IPA and its not crystal clear, but its definitely not remotely hazy at all.

Here is the recipe I used, what can I tweak or add to get a little more haze to it?

11 lbs Hugh Baird Maris
1 lb 5 oz flaked Oat
5 oz Honey Malt
5 oz Carapils

Boil hops:
0.5 oz Columbus Hops (60 min)

170 degree Hop stand hops:
2 oz Citra
2 oz Mosaic
1 oz Simoe

Dry Hop:
1 oz Citra (3 days)
1 oz Mosaic (3 days)
1 oz Simcoe (3 days)
1 oz Citra (Keg Hopped)
1 oz Mosaic (Keg Hopped)
1 oz Simcoe (Keg Hopped)

Yeast:
Imperial Yeast - Juicy

According to what ive heard and seen, the Flaked oats and the Imperial yeast I used should have helped contribute to the hazy aspect.

Thoughts on what I can do to improve the hazy look? I love the beer, and perfectly fine with it the way it is, but curious why I seem to be unable to get Hazy beers.
Add some unmalted wheat.

I made a session beer (and with session, i mean 2,2%) with 50% wheat and 50% rye and an English yeast. It will not clear out at all, which makes me very happy. I BIAB though.
I'm pretty sure it is due to the rye and extensive squeezing of the bag.
If you're not doing BIAB it's probably no option, but making an NEIPA with a lot of rye (>50%) could be an idea.

standard disclaimer, seek the end beer, not the haze. Do you only care that your beer is hazy? Or are you trying to make a good NEIPA? Good NEIPAs are not made with haze being the goal, but rather over the top aroma and soft hop flavor.

The number 1 thing to change is your hop schedule. More hops for longer in whirlpool. And move your dry hops to be added 24 hours after fermentation starts. I've made the same beer twice where all i changes was the above and the clarity was night and day. Contrary to what some say, you do not need insane quantities of hops to get there. Yes you can brute force with 20oz+ in a 5 gallon batch, but using a smaller amount in the right places works just fine.

Thanks! I definitely am not chasing the "look" - I like the taste of my beer and happy with what I have so far. I just want to figure this out as a minor thing just to align with the NE IPA style. Its really a minor problem to have since the beer is pretty good.

I will give the hop addition @ 24 hours next batch. Thanks!

Like cegan09 said, definitely seek the end beer and not the haze specifically. But it's really important for the style to add dry hops during fermentation in addition to the post-fermentation hops. The hop interaction with proteins is what forms that permanent haze (as well as the "classic" NEIPA hop flavors).

I agree that that appearance shouldn't matter nearly as much as taste, aroma and mouthfeel... BUT one thing you could try is using a lot of Galaxy hops. I've read that the oils in Galaxy tend to contribute more haze than other hops, and I have found this to be the case in my NEIPA's as well.

Back