My hops already looking sick.

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Jako

Reaction score
Second year cascade hops looking awful already. Last year I had spider mites this year it looks like a like something else.

I added some bone meal into the pot not much and a small amount of fish fertilizer. 3 days later I noticed the pot wasn't draining correctly. I drilled Holes and let it drain.

But before I noticed the pot not draining correctly I did notice the leaves looking very wrinkly and almost as if it was lacking iron. Lots of veins. Today as I was setting up my makeshift trellis I noticed leaf damaged and the tips looking dead.

Should I just bleach this rhizome and give up on it?

Adding bleach was just a joke. I would plant it on the fence of the neighbors I dont like much.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cYN17sRz24pzZFjh8

Transamguy77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I don’t know much about hops yet (I just ordered a bunch of rhizomes) but it’s early in the growing season so maybe just let it ride? And if in a few weeks if nothing than give up till next year.

OP
Jako

Jako

Reaction score
I don’t know much about hops yet (I just ordered a bunch of rhizomes) but it’s early in the growing season so maybe just let it ride? And if in a few weeks if nothing than give up till next year.
Yeah no idea. It looks like downey mildew to me. At least ar firstglance. Tons and tons of dust/wind at my new house. I just bought 3 new varieties and was planning to get pretty serious but nature might fight me on this one.

cswis86

Reaction score
Looks like you have some healthy looking new growth. I would cut everything back and allow the new shoots to grow. It's still early in the season... Don't give up yet!

myndflyte

Reaction score
I agree that you should just let it ride, or cut them back to start again.. It's pretty early (my new rhizomes just got shipped) so lots of growing season yet.

OP
Jako

Jako

Reaction score
I ended up cutting it back to the rhizome. Sprayed it down and also back filled lightly with fertilizer in the old soil. Took about 10 days now I have tons and tons of new growth. Going to pick 6 bines and train it asap.

I keep reading all over everyone saying once it gets going its like a weed. I can see why.

Also my 3 new varieties are doing well. The cashmere is growing amazingly.