My hops already looking sick.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jako

Reaction score
Second year cascade hops looking awful already. Last year I had spider mites this year it looks like a like something else.

I added some bone meal into the pot not much and a small amount of fish fertilizer. 3 days later I noticed the pot wasn't draining correctly. I drilled Holes and let it drain.

But before I noticed the pot not draining correctly I did notice the leaves looking very wrinkly and almost as if it was lacking iron. Lots of veins. Today as I was setting up my makeshift trellis I noticed leaf damaged and the tips looking dead.

Should I just bleach this rhizome and give up on it?

Adding bleach was just a joke. I would plant it on the fence of the neighbors I dont like much.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cYN17sRz24pzZFjh8

I don’t know much about hops yet (I just ordered a bunch of rhizomes) but it’s early in the growing season so maybe just let it ride? And if in a few weeks if nothing than give up till next year.

I don’t know much about hops yet (I just ordered a bunch of rhizomes) but it’s early in the growing season so maybe just let it ride? And if in a few weeks if nothing than give up till next year.

Yeah no idea. It looks like downey mildew to me. At least ar firstglance. Tons and tons of dust/wind at my new house. I just bought 3 new varieties and was planning to get pretty serious but nature might fight me on this one.

Looks like you have some healthy looking new growth. I would cut everything back and allow the new shoots to grow. It's still early in the season... Don't give up yet!

I agree that you should just let it ride, or cut them back to start again.. It's pretty early (my new rhizomes just got shipped) so lots of growing season yet.

I ended up cutting it back to the rhizome. Sprayed it down and also back filled lightly with fertilizer in the old soil. Took about 10 days now I have tons and tons of new growth. Going to pick 6 bines and train it asap.

I keep reading all over everyone saying once it gets going its like a weed. I can see why.

Also my 3 new varieties are doing well. The cashmere is growing amazingly.

Back