my homemade roller mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgable

Reaction score
Just Finished making a roller mill. It has 8 inch long rollers that are adjustable from 0.00 to 0.70 inch. It has a lexan hopper that holds 11 lbs. of grain / pictures are in my Gallery Just click on the link on left of screen. Tell me what you think?

The set screws on the rollers are to lock in the 1/2 inch pins on each end. I need to hold them secure when I knurled the rollers.

Nice job. You could probably motorize that real easy. Where did you get the rollersT What was the total cost to you and time spent?

I made the rollers out of 2 inch aluminum then they were hard annodized coated.WE had most of the Aluminum in the shop so all I had to buy was the Handle $6 The lexan $34, and the aluminim angle pieces for the corners$10. So all total about $50. not sure how much time it took exactly becauseI did it a little at a time 1/2 hour here 1/2 hour there.

As a machinist myself very good work, but why not use steel or stainless for the rollers? I would worry the coating would rub off after time into the grain that I was milling.

Full_Mill.jpg

We had the 2 inch aluminum in the shop also hard annidizing isnt really a coating . It penitrates into the aluminum and make it very abrassion resistant.I will keep an eye on it though for any sighns of wear and then if I have to replace them with steel.

Devil's advocate for those asking about buying this thing. He won't be able to build that for the price you'd pay. It's a beatiful piece, but there's a reason there's only a few mills for sale and that they all look the same.

I've thought about bilding one myself. I work in a machine shop, and have access to all kinds of equipment and skilled help. I should look into how they are made and just do it. Make some use of that 4-axis Mill we have!

Heh! I just talked to one of our builders and he said no problem. We got lots of scrap and tools for it, and I probably wont' cost me anything other than a new set of gears and a couple of screws/bolts.

Time to start designing!

Back