Quantcast

my homemade roller mill

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

mgable

Reaction score
Just Finished making a roller mill. It has 8 inch long rollers that are adjustable from 0.00 to 0.70 inch. It has a lexan hopper that holds 11 lbs. of grain / pictures are in my Gallery Just click on the link on left of screen. Tell me what you think?

OP
mgable

mgable

Reaction score
The set screws on the rollers are to lock in the 1/2 inch pins on each end. I need to hold them secure when I knurled the rollers.

joejaz

Reaction score
Nice job. You could probably motorize that real easy. Where did you get the rollersT What was the total cost to you and time spent?

OP
mgable

mgable

Reaction score
I made the rollers out of 2 inch aluminum then they were hard annodized coated.WE had most of the Aluminum in the shop so all I had to buy was the Handle $6 The lexan $34, and the aluminim angle pieces for the corners$10. So all total about $50. not sure how much time it took exactly becauseI did it a little at a time 1/2 hour here 1/2 hour there.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
As a machinist myself very good work, but why not use steel or stainless for the rollers? I would worry the coating would rub off after time into the grain that I was milling.

OP
mgable

mgable

Reaction score
We had the 2 inch aluminum in the shop also hard annidizing isnt really a coating . It penitrates into the aluminum and make it very abrassion resistant.I will keep an eye on it though for any sighns of wear and then if I have to replace them with steel.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Devil's advocate for those asking about buying this thing. He won't be able to build that for the price you'd pay. It's a beatiful piece, but there's a reason there's only a few mills for sale and that they all look the same.

jay_mack1

Reaction score
I'd love one.. it would be on my kitchen counter at all times..

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I've thought about bilding one myself. I work in a machine shop, and have access to all kinds of equipment and skilled help. I should look into how they are made and just do it. Make some use of that 4-axis Mill we have!

Homercidal

Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Heh! I just talked to one of our builders and he said no problem. We got lots of scrap and tools for it, and I probably wont' cost me anything other than a new set of gears and a couple of screws/bolts.

Time to start designing!