My HERMS Design PLZ review and advise

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mirilis

Lvl 10 Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Below are pictures of the HERMS setup i designed today at work on my computer.
Im looking for advice on things to add/change as well as help with the control panel part of it as i dont know much about them at all.

I would appreciate some feedback as well as advice on what types of controllers to get so i can start to study them.

its pretty similar to a b3 sculpture i really liked, but with some changing points

THANKS!!

637185brewzer1.jpg

345418brewzer2.jpg

654279brewzer3.jpg

799552brewzer4.jpg

Your set up looks good, but where is your plumbing plan?
Otherwise it looks clean. I like it. The next thing that you will have to do is make a wiring schematic. Wait though until you have the plumbing plan done. That way you can figure for everything that you need. S.

Looks good! Why have you mounted the pump so far to the left. I might move that to the center of the stand to shorten tubing/piping length.

Are you planning on plumbing with soft tube or hard pipe?

the plan is to use high temp hose with quick disconnects so i can set up the circut to the pump however i want. i put the pump in the corner cuz i dont want too much heat near it. the wiring should be the hard part as i have no experience with controllers. i need to figure out more on how they work so i can incorperate them into my design. any advise on controller types i should look into?

I know who you have the MLT up so high, but have you put a lot of thought into how much of a pain it might be to work with the grain up that high, stirring and all? Also, do you have a way to lock the tippy dump so you don't have a tragedy like Brewpastor did?

For your control, you can do a LOVE TS controller and then hook it up to an outlet net to the pump. The temperature probe goes in the return. Then you heat your HLT to say 180F and then let he temp controller cycle wort through your heat exchanger. The pump will turn on and off during the mashing to regulate temperature. That is the simple way. Keep in mind that there are many ways to accomplish the same thing.

Bobby_M said:
I know who you have the MLT up so high, but have you put a lot of thought into how much of a pain it might be to work with the grain up that high, stirring and all? /QUOTE]

Would you think the brutus 10 style setup would be better? I wanted to look at the plans and see if there was anything from them that I liked and could use.

I'm guessing you are heating strike water in your HLT and pumping it up to your MLT then adding your grain. Then pumping sparge water up to HLT and gravity feeding the boil kettle. How are you going to recirculate the mash, by hand or pump? I like the small footprint in the system and look forward to seeing your plumbing diagram. Good Luck.

You are correct... i plan to recirc the mash by gravity feeding it to the pump then through the heat exchange coil in the HLT and back up through the sparge arm.

then gravity feeding from MLT to the kettle and using the pump to pump water from the HLT to the sparge arm

Back