My gas line smells like plastic and it’s coming out in my brews head.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erkle42

Reaction score
I noticed after my first keg that my mini fridge smelled really strongly of plastic. The second keg was good for the most part but I started to notice that plastic smell in the head of my beer. What’s up? Is there anything I can do to fix this? Will it go away once the gas line is ‘worn in’?

What did you use for your line? Most standard co2 line is vinyl, not plastic; might that be what you're smelling? When I re-did my kegerator a few months ago I used brand-new line, and didn't have any smell issues.

What did you use for your line? Most standard co2 line is vinyl, not plastic; might that be what you're smelling? When I re-did my kegerator a few months ago I used brand-new line, and didn't have any smell issues.
What was the new lines material?

The beer is inside a metal keg, so it's unlikely ambient plastic odors that the fridge itself is emitting are somehow getting into the beer. I would be more focused on the beer line: some folks are keenly sensitive to PVC, others are pretty near oblivious to it. Chalk that up to genetics.

And, for the record, I believe I'm closer to the "oblivious" group than the "sensitive" group - I ran two keezers in succession for 15 years using Bevlex 200 solid PVC lines and never had a problem with it as far as plastic character. That said, I switched all my lines (beer and gas) over to EVABarrier tubing in 2019 because of its O2-barrier properties...

Cheers!

The reason is silicone is among the most gas-permeable of all tubing types, meaning beau coupe O2 ingress, which is pretty much the worst thing that can happen to beer...

Cheers!

beaucoup as opposed to

Capture.JPG

Back