My first try for 100% brett IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beauvafr

Reaction score
Hey. It's gonna be my first try with Brett, and I want to go 100% brett IPA for this one.

1. What should I change compared to standard IPA techniques (pitch, mash and fermentaiton temperature)?
2. Is a 100% brett gonna a propension to bottle bomb and secondary fermentation brett?
3. Does a 100% brett can be bottled /drinked as fast an an IPA?
4. What do you think of using only Hallertau for dry hopping for emphasing on spicy and herbs, even if it's an IPA?
5. I am hesitating between Funktown Pale Ale (Yeast Bay) and Brettanomyces bruxellensis Trois, which are aimed at primary fermentation. Do you guys have a preference?

1. Keep the mash temp the same as you would for a normal ipa (148-150), pitch rate for 100% Brett should be closer to lager amounts rather than ale, and ferm temps fluctuate depending on strain but mid to high 60s should be good.

2. You shouldn't have any issues with bottle bombs as Brett doesn't super attenuate when it is used for primary fermentation

3. Bottle it as soon as you reach terminal gravity. I usually give it 3 weeks just to make sure. It takes the same amount of time to carb as sacc, but you can experiment with aging some bottles and see if you like the taste. It will become funkier with age and be fruitier younger.

4. Dry hopping with Hallertau might give you those flavors, but I've never tried it so I can't give any first hand feedback. I usually like to dry hop with a mix of hops that I used in the boil.

5. Funktown Pale Ale is a mix of sacc and Brett so that would need a longer secondary fermentation and wouldn't be 100% Brett. Also, Brett Trois was discovered to be a strain of Sacc and not Brett. The yeast bay offers a number of Brett strains as well as Amalgamation (a blend of all their Brett) which I find to be great for 100% Brett fermentations. It's a nice balance of fruit and funk, tons of tropical fruit up front and gets funkier as it ages.

If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Speaking of the yeast, I have WLP650 on hands.

Do you think it would be great for a 100% Brett and be suitable for a 3 weeks fermentation and no aging except carbonation?

I haven't tried brux by itself for primary fermentation, but I would just make sure to do a large starter and give it plenty of time. Brett takes longer to propagate than sacc. Give it at least a week for each step. But I'm sure it'll make a great beer.

Back