My first Stout :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tehan

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I want to atempt my first stout kit, but I would like to make some changes to it.

As a base I'm going to use 1x tin of Coopers Stout, 1x 1.7kg Coopers LDME and about 500g of dextrose.

Now for the sillyness, I would like to split this into 3 parts, say 7l of it as is, 7l for coffee and 7l for a chocolate stout.

Now for the questions:
Can I do it like this?
Can I just split the one packet of yeast into 3 or do I need more packets?
How much coffee is needed and when?
Will 250g Milo work for the chocolate stout or should I use cocoa powder, and when do I pitch it, at primary or secondary fermentation?

Sure you can, its your beer.

I would ferment in primary as one batch for 2-3 weeks. Then bottle the first 7L. Split remaining beer into 2 secondaries. Add coarse ground coffee beans in dry hop mesh bag to 7L for 2-3 hours (0.5 - 0.8 oz of beans should be enough). Gently swirl the beer up and taste every hour or two to make sure you don't go overboard.

Add your cocoa addition to the other (I have no experience here on how or what to add).

Back