My First Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dryerson

Reaction score
I am planning on brewing my second batch in about 24 hours tomorrow. It's a Black IPA kit from Northern Brewer, and I am making a yeast starter for the first time. The kit states an OG of 1.065 and came with a smack pack of Wyeast 1272. I also have a "yeast starter kit" from NB w/ a 1000ml flask. Here's what I have done so far (starting 48 hours ago), pretty much following the instructions that came w/ the NB yeast starter kit:

• Broke the smack pack and let it swell for 3 hours
  • Sanitized all equipment
  • Boiled 650ml water and 3/4 cup DME in the flask, cooled to 80F, added the yeast, shook vigorously, and added a stopper & airlock
  • Let it sit at room temp for the past 48 hours, giving it a swirl every so often (yeast has been happily growing w/ lots of bubbles & krausen!).

My question is - will this starter be OK for a brew day tomorrow? Based on research I've done since Wednesday, I think the starter is smaller than the ideal. My idea is to decant the top liquid tonight, and add another 500-650ml of boiled water + DME (however much the 1000ml flask will hold). Let that grow for 18 hours or so, and pitch it into my 5 gallon batch tomorrow. Would that help, or should I go w/ the starter "as-is"? Another option (not ideal for me since I want to brew tomorrow!) would be to keep building the starter up to 2+ liters - or go buy another package of yeast & double pitch.

Apologies if this belongs in the beginners forum, and thanks in advance for any replies!!

If you are brewing a 5 gal. batch with one full unit of yeast then just use what you have and DO NOT add to it. It should be more than enough.

I definitely wouldn't decant tonight. If you do that, you will be throwing away your most viable yeast. If you have a larger container (like a growler), you could prepare an extra liter of wort, and add the starter to that. Alternatively, you could do what peteraydan said, and use what you have. It will be much better than not making a starter at all.

-a.

Another starter question

Do you make starters the same way for a Lager yeast ?

Lagers need more yeast cells. This means larger starters. The way I make larger starters for lagers is to start the starter with about 1/4 liter, then step it up to 1/2 liter, then 1 liter, then 2 liters, then 4 liters. I consider this to be too much to pitch directly into the wort, so I wait for it to ferment out, chill, decant, and pitch the slurry.

-a.

Lagers need more yeast cells. This means larger starters. The way I make larger starters for lagers is to start the starter with about 1/4 liter, then step it up to 1/2 liter, then 1 liter, then 2 liters, then 4 liters. I consider this to be too much to pitch directly into the wort, so I wait for it to ferment out, chill, decant, and pitch the slurry.

-a.

I made 2 starters Today for My first 2 Lagers. Each was one liter and 1+ cup of DME.
If I should add to it How long should I wait before adding to it?

What temp do you pitch at ? I have done some searching but their were a lot of conflicting ideas ,My directions say 72-78* for 12-36hrs or until fermentation begins and then cool it down to 50-55*

Sorry for the Hijack:D

I ferment my starters at room temperature. At this time of year, this is in the upper 60's. In the summer, it gets into the upper 70's (but I think that is a bit too high for a lager starter). I'd try to keep it in the low 70's.
I also do my starters on a stir plate which speeds things up a lot, and I step it up every 24 hours. For the 4 liter stage, I take it off the stir plate, and put it into a 1 imperial gallon jug. I leave it for 3 - 4 days to ferment before chilling.

-a.

Thanks for all the replies! I went ahead and chilled my flask for 3 hours, and then carefully decanted about half of the spent wort off the top. Then I added another 650ml of new boiled/cooled wort containing 1/2 cup DME. The flask will now sit for 24 hours before I pitch tomorrow. Did I make a mistake? While the replies indicate I *should* have been fine with what I had, I'm trying to increase the yeast. But I'm hoping that by decanting I didn't toss out good yeast. FWIW, the yeast was settled to the bottom after 3 hours in the fridge, and the starter had been fermenting for over 48 hours.

Back