My First Rye Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firebird400

Reaction score
Hello
I am new here and I am new to the brewing game as well.
I went straight to all-grain brewing by building a mash tun/boiler with circulation pump, heating elements, cooling spiral and filter, as well as a really good temp control.

I have only 4 batches under my belt and one of them went down the drain because the wort burned on the elements. The equipment is getting refined as well as myself learning. English is me second language and must all info I can find is in english, so learning is perhaps taking a bit more effort.

Last night I mashed my first IPA with rye.
I perhaps should have read a bit more on brewing with rye before I did but I was running out of time, I want to get this batch through primary fermentation so I can start my first Lager batches going.

If you could/would be so kind to critic my mash schedule and anything else you may find I would appreciate it, and I bet I would learn more form it then reading something I perhaps only understand partly.

6.0 lbs Pale Ale
3.5 lbs Pilsner Malt
1.2 lbs Munich Malt
0.5 lbs Rye Malt
0.5 lbs CaraMunich II

1 oz. Columbus (14.5%) 60 min.
0.64 oz. Columbus (14.5%) 40 min.
0.64 oz. Cascade (5.4%) 20 min.
0.64 oz, Cascade (5.4%) 10 min.
1 Whirlfloc tablet (Irish Moss) 10 min.
Dry hop Cascade (5.4%) 1.3 oz. after one week for one week, then to secondary

Started with 8.7 gal.

Mashed like this.
95°f for 15 min.
154.7°f for 20 min.
149°f for 40 min.
Mash out at 167°f for 10 min.

Did not check PH levels
Pre-boil gravity was 1.051
Post-boil gravity was 1.057
Ended with 6.9 gal in fermenter
Used yeast US05 "safale"

I lost one of two heating elements during a portion of the mash so it took an hour to get from 167°f to a boil.
I have four elements wired in two sets of two. each is thus running on half power. I did this so the elements would get less hot and not burn the grain that settles on them

Looks like a good recipe to me. How much do you want to taste the rye? If you want more of that flavor next time I would go with an additional pound or two (it is a subtle flavor).

For the mash, most recipes increase the temperature at each step. By doing the 155 F rest before the 149 F rest you will denature most of the beta amylase before it has a chance to work at the lower temperature. Rye can be very sticky, so the mash out was a good idea.

Hope it turns out well! Good luck on your first lager.

Back