My first mead -- In the bucket.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jds

Reaction score
So, I put together my first mead last night. Based on some input from BigKahuna, I tweaked my original recipe to come up with this:

10# Colorado Clover honey
6# Colorado Palisade Peaches
3 Gal. Eldorado Springs water.
Lalvin 71b-1122

~1.123 OG

I put this together with the fruit in the primary, as per the recent BYO article. Pitched yeast about 11:00 PM last night with some energizer. I'll be punching down the fruit and aerating for the first 24-36 hours, then I'll seal it up for a couple of weeks. Making mead seems a lot less...intense than brewing. From breaking out the equipment to cleaning up was just about an hour.

Welcome to mead making! Sometimes I feel we're the red headed stepchildren of brewing and wine making but when you produce mead you're contributing to keeping alive a tradition that's continued since the dawn of time.

I just went to check on it and punch down the fruit cap. 13 hours after pitching, and it's bubbling nicely. The must smells JUST like peach pie. Seriously, I was getting hungry while I was punching the cap and adding more nutrients. I can't wait to try this mead...

Next summer
e7ce47___sadbanana.gif

Back