My first keezer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No it has a prop up stick like a car hood. I'm gonna add some pistons to assist it because it's pretty heavy.

Hi

That's normally the issue with a tile top. Be careful with the prop technique. Hitting it while switching kegs can result in a less than optimum experience.

Bob

Does the stc1000 temp controller I'm using have A Fahrenheit setting? Mines in Celsius...

Hi

If it's a STC-1000, no it only does C. There is a cheaper less capable controller from the same outfit that actually makes the STC-1000. I went with Auber PID's for the stuff I needed in F.

Bob

So after a month finally time to fix the bugs. My main problem is that my coffin is getting too warm and on my first pour the cold beer hitting the warm shanks makes for some serious foam. I didn't think it's be as big a problem as it is.

So in adding a pc cooling fan. My main questions are do I just need one blowing up or also one blowing down? I figured I'd put one blowing up towards the coffin and then the open hole for my beer lines will allow the air to flow back down freely?

Also, is it beat to wire it or them into my compressor? Or maybe my stc-1000 temp controller box? Thanks everyone! Cheers.

I can't answer your question but wanted to congratulate you on a truly awesome job. As someone said in a previous post, that is art.

You will want an intake and exhaust, then creat a column within foam insulation for the air to travel up out of the freezer across the shanks and exhaust back down. It has worked like a charm. You can check out what I did on my thread, but it may take you a while to find that section, as my thread has gotten ridiculously long. I would also strongly suggest a TSS2 Love controller, so that you can control the coffin cooling independent of the chest freezer. I have found that when the coffin fans only cycle on when the freezer compresser kicks on, it's not enough to keep the shanks/lines cold. For the $75 on Dwyer.com, it's well worth the money and the frustrations with foamy pours. Let me know if you need any help! :mug:

So in adding a pc cooling fan. My main questions are do I just need one blowing up or also one blowing down? I figured I'd put one blowing up towards the coffin and then the open hole for my beer lines will allow the air to flow back down freely?

Also, is it beat to wire it or them into my compressor? Or maybe my stc-1000 temp controller box? Thanks everyone! Cheers.

Hi

I've had great luck with one blowing in and another blowing out. I have a foam wall about half way in-between them to get the air up by the shanks. I run them all the time, but use quiet fans so they don't bug me to death. The tower is about 2' from where I'm sitting now and I can't hear them. They don't pull enough power to matter.

Bob

A hero and a carpenter! I wish I had half the talent (and guts) that you do. Good job man, well done!

Hi

If you have a 2 1/2" hole saw and fairly normal fans, it all should go pretty quick and easy. Blast two holes, tack down each fan with two drywall screws, wire up to an old wall wart or something similar. I started out doing crazy things with grommets and foam, I now just screw them down to the wood. I can't tell any difference in sound level.

Bob

carlisle_bob said:
Hi

If you have a 2 1/2" hole saw and fairly normal fans, it all should go pretty quick and easy. Blast two holes, tack down each fan with two drywall screws, wire up to an old wall wart or something similar. I started out doing crazy things with grommets and foam, I now just screw them down to the wood. I can't tell any difference in sound level.

Bob

Sounds easy enough. No hole saw for me though. Small hack saw blade should do the trick I hope.

Hi

Anything that you can control that puts a hole in there is going to work. I find hole saws on great big drills easier to manage than hacksaws, that may just be me though.

How ever you do it, you want a hole that's slightly smaller than the frame of the fan. You need some lid material left to screw into when you mount the fan.

I use rigid foam in the freezer lid and I flare it back from the vent holes at about a 45 degree angle. I just hack at it with a knife, I suppose there are fancier ways to do the same thing. The less you restrict the air flow, the more air you will move, and the quieter your fans will run.

My towers are offset from the middle of the lid. I pull air in from the end that's closest to the middle of the lid and blow it out the end that's over by the wall. That moves the air in the same direction as the fans in the freezer. That all may be pure voodoo, but it seems to work ok.

Bob

I just finished. Not the most beautiful work but it does the trick so far! First pour was already at almost no foam. Big step up from where I was. I used a 3" fan pointing up pulling air towards the top and used a block of foam in the middle to make a tunnel. The "exhaust" side is just an open hole where my beer lines run through. Should I put a fan on that side pointing down too? Seems to be working fine the way it is. The coffins about 10 degrees Warner then the bottom but it's working good in my opinion.

Hi

For the cost of a cheap PC fan, yes I'd put in a second one. Since it's working ok, it's up to you. Ideally you would like the tower to be around 42 F when the freezer section is about 38 F.

Bob

Keezer is officially for sale. :( let me know if you're interested.

image-3040529879.jpg

Back