My first ever "is it infected?" thread (with pics)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueSunshine

Reaction score
First off I want to apologize ahead of time for making another infection thread. After tons of searching, I couldn't find anything that looks quite like this. I brewed up an Irish Red almost 2 weeks ago and I took a peak into my carboy and found this:

IMG_0603.jpg

IMG_0602.jpg

It just looks.... not right. I did my usual sanitation practices with my other beers but it's always possible that something somewhere got screwed up. So... does this look infected?

What does it smell like, what doe it taste like????? That's ugly but I have seen uglier krausen kurdels than that on perfectly normal beers. Your nose and mouth are going to be better indicators of infection then we are.

What yeast was it?

What does it smell like, what doe it taste like????? That's ugly but I have seen uglier krausen kurdels than that on perfectly normal beers. Your nose and mouth are going to be better indicators of infection then we are.

What yeast was it?

It smells like beer mostly, don't really smell anything off. I haven't tasted yet, but I think I'll be doing that soon. I used White Labs 002 English Ale yeast from a starter for this one.

Any chance you used yeast Nutrient? I always get those clumps up top when using nutrient, but not when I don't. Regardless, not infected, just normal.

Any chance you used yeast Nutrient? I always get those clumps up top when using nutrient, but not when I don't. Regardless, not infected, just normal.

I completely forgot about that. I used 1 servomyces capsule on this batch and this is the first time I've used it. Didn't know it would get clumpy with a yeast nutrient!

You guys really know your stuff. :D

Today, 10:59 AM - Today, 11:32 AM

Jebus, from post to PROBLEM SOLVED in 33 minutes, that's pretty darned impressive!

Feel better now? :)

Latest posts

Back