My first cider need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr_moo91x

Reaction score
Hey guys, New to this website and new to brewing. I am looking to make some small batch turbo ciders I only have 2x 2l demi John's so I'd be making small amounts until I get a bigger set. So far I have cider yeast, wine tannin, necessary sanitising powder. And 2 air locks with bungs. What I'm looking to find out is the appropriate amount of yeast and tannin to use per bottle. I would have used 2.5g yeast per bottle but again I have never done this

One pack of yeast can do up to six gallons. If you use 1/4-1/2 a pack then you'll get a good strong colony straight out of the gate. As for the tannins, I am still trying g to figure out how much is enough.

For advanced cider makers there is a way to test the juice to tell how much tannin to add...
But suffice it to say it depends on what you're trying to achieve with the cider. Do you like it dry? Sweet? Fizzy or just lightly bubbly?
As far as I know the tannin can be added later to taste...somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
I believe some pectic enzyme is good to add now before the ferment tho...Maybe 1/4 tsp? I cannot remember, it's been a while...but those are similar sized batches to when I made more ciders.

I normally use roughly a teaspoon of yeast per gallon of cider. Two litres is a bit less than 1/2 gallon, so 1/2 tsp should do. Don't know about tannin as I don't use it but rely on crab apples when I have them.

turbo ciders

LOL, i do 10 gallons in a bucket that doesn't seal....but i just had to give this thread the lol....i hope you don't drink much because a 2l batch is less than an hour for me......that's like brewing a glass at a time...but hell if it's turbo! why not! :D (i wish i had something useful to add besides a poke in the ribs)

edit: oh, and Welcome!!!! ;)

I am looking to make some small batch turbo ciders I only have 2x 2l demi John's so I'd be making small amounts until I get a bigger set.
Welcome to HBT!
You'll need to find another 2 liter bottle or just make one small batch at a time. When a batch of your cider is done fermenting, you'll want to let the yeast settle out and and then rack it off the deposits that will accumulate.
If you have a bucket of cider, you'd use a siphon, but with a 2l bottle you could just carefully pour it off into another bottle. Put the cider in the 'fridge and it will clear faster.
I don't usually add tannin to my cider, so can't help with that, but I would suggest starting out with the smallest amount you can measure and go from there.
There are lots of great books out right now that cover all things about cider making, also check out you tube videos.
Let us know how the first batch works out.
:mug:

So to clarify I don't actually need tannin? What is it that tannin does? So really all you need is yeast and apple juice and the bottle equipment?

For advanced cider makers there is a way to test the juice to tell how much tannin to add...
But suffice it to say it depends on what you're trying to achieve with the cider. Do you like it dry? Sweet? Fizzy or just lightly bubbly?
As far as I know the tannin can be added later to taste...somebody correct me if I'm wrong...
I believe some pectic enzyme is good to add now before the ferment tho...Maybe 1/4 tsp? I cannot remember, it's been a while...but those are similar sized batches to when I made more ciders.
I just like flat ciders really sweet or dry I was just under the impression I needed tannin not sure what it does or anything lol

I just like flat ciders really sweet or dry I was just under the impression I needed tannin not sure what it does or anything lol
Tannins add dimension. Think about fruit that you have eaten in the past. Ever bite into an unripe piece of fruit and get a bitter or sharp flavor that makes you pucker? Or have you ever had sip of wine And your mouth/tongue feels like sandpaper? Those are tannins and acids.

Some apples are great for eating, others for baking or jam. The baking aoples are more bitter,sharp,sour whereas the eating apples are more sweet. Some of this is variable due to the ripeness of the fruit as well as how long the juice is left in contact with the skins and stems/seeds.

Apple juice that you buy from the grocery store is targeted for a drinking profile, not a fermentation profile. You can make cider with regular store juice, but the end result lacks complexity of a great cider. Making cider from these juices is kind of like making light beer.

But don't worry, many of us make darn good cider with store bought juice. There are things you can do to make your cider better.
Watch out for cheap juice, check That there are no preservatives other than vitamins C/ascorbic acid.
Watch for sugar additions, especially off brand from concentrate. Can be used, but sugar will add abv but no residual flavors.
Some, like myself, @Maylar and @Blacksmith1 (I think) stabilize and back sweeten with apple or other juices.
Some do acid and tannin adjustments to add body and flavor.
Temp controlled fermentation, appropriate nutrients.
Read through the forums, ask questions. Lots of good info here.

So commercial cideries have a proprietary blend that varies from year to year based on the harvest of sharp, bittersharp, bittersweet and sweet apples...
Honestly my favorite cider is cheap store bought apple juice with only ascorbic acid as a preservative...add sugar to like 1.06 and pitch Nottingham and some nutrient maybe...but it's really quite simple. done in a few days...
heck if you wanna get really fancy just get one of those carb caps and spunding valve...It ferments so quick...just wait 7 days and chill it!

Back