My first batch and results

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gdbrewer

Reaction score
My first batch is a Liberty Cream Ale from Midwest. The full boil went fine and everything was perfect.

Primary for 14 days, then racked it to a keg and put on 13 psi for 24 hours in my kegerator.

My patience wore thin (which I know this is probably the problem) and decided to force carb at 30 psi through the beer out nozzle. So I pulled a pint to get anything off the bottom of the keg before shaking. Flat beer is all I got. Then, I rocked it back and forth for about 6 minutes. I put it back in the fridge, waited a few hours and bled off excess pressure down to about 8 psi.

This is what I get. Cloudy and very bitter. Should I just keep it in the fridge for a couple of weeks under 8-10 psi or stick in in the closet for a couple of weeks?

Cream Ale.jpg

The fridge will really slow down any of the clean up the yeasties might be doing. It's your call. Leave it in the fridge (and thus be tempted to drink it anyway) or take it out and let the little buggers do their job for a few weeks.... like, 4.

Cloudy is only visual. Drink it bitter and start adapting your palate for future IPA enjoyment :D

OK, I'm a bit biased here. The only cream ale I like is a local that was once available after aging in pinot barrels. The non barrel aged version didn't agree with me.

Put it in the closet and let the beer mature before you chill and carbonate it and you will get a much smoother beer without quite the bite you now notice. It might be noticeably better in 2 weeks but probably not quite the best until 4 or more weeks.

According to the instructions for this kit, it is about 33 ibus with an OG of 1.042, which gives it a pretty high GU/BU ratio.

I'd let it age for 2 months at room temp and let the hops fade. Next time brew something a little maltier, which will stand up to the bitterness or something with lower ibus.

I just brew that one up on superbowl sun :) my plan was to go 5 weeks in primary ,bottle then let it go 4weeks .hope to be mowing the lawn and trying it here in ny.My just need time for your beer

Latest posts

Back