my first all grain/brew in a bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adanac58

Reaction score
i am doing a half carboy since it is my first batch , and i cant get more than a 20 qt stock pot at the moment . i am using just a regular ol' muslin bag to hold 2 kg of grains ( will the muslin bag be enough for 2 kg ? i put the whole bag of malt into it just to see if it would fit and it seems to be okay but hot and wet might be a different story ) so here is my recipie that some people help me put together . step 1. put 2 kg of 2 row malt in the muslin
step 2. mash at 155 ( ferenheight? ) for 60 mins
step 3. take bag out put lid on pot and chill
step 4 . rinse bag in 1 gallon of water ( sparge )
step 5. after sparge boil 12 grams of cascade hops for 60 mins and 12 grams for the last 5 mins
step 6. measure specific gravitiy and add water and or DME to adjust . cool and pitch.

does that sound about right guys ? i have a few questions ... its summer in canada now so i can not do the snow wort chiller trick... my sink is too small for a stock pot , maybe fill a metal tub up with ice and chill the wort outside ? i am looking just to do a regular ale does nottingham ale yeast sound okay to use for this ? how much exactly shall i pitch? while the beer is chilling does it risk contamination? after i make the wort should i give it some campden and wait 24 hours to pitch ? any other tips you have please shoot em out there !!!! since this is my first grain batch... what made me want to do a grain batch is that i wanted to do a beer tailored specificly for me ! as i am not satisfied with extract beers or beer from the store

BIAB is a no sparge method, the extra gallon of water you dumped in, keep that in the beginning of the boil with the rest of the water.
after the hour, raise the temp to 170ish for like 10-15 minutes, let the grains drain out and start the boil as norm :thumbup:
your process deff works just fine :) but it's not fully BIAB.
the one gallon extra prolly did get some extra sugars out of the grain though.

My 5 gallon biab setup is a 9.5 and 3 gallon pots, voile curtain, digital thermometer, mash paddle, long metal spoon, turkey fryer, 10gal drink cooler and a helper. Optional equipment are grain mill and stir plate.
1. Heat 4 gallon campden treated water to about 167 for 11lb crushed grains. That brings mash to about 154. Put curtain in pot and put grain in curtain while stirring with mash paddle. Cover with blankets and or towels. Stir and check temp every 15 minutes for an hour.
2. Heat 3 gallon campden treated water to 176 with 10 minutes left.
3. Pull out curtain and ask helper to squeeze. Get silicone BBQ gloves.
4. Put grain and bag into 10gal cooler and dump 3 gallon on it, stir, and let sit for 10 minutes.
5. Dump the 3 gallon into original pot and squeeze. You should get 6.5-7 gallons of wort
6. Boil and ads hops as usual.
7. 15 minutes left add copper immersion chiller. Made mine with 25' 1/2 copper by rolling around soda keg
8. Ferment and wait.

Back