My first AG smells and tastes like corn.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swaroga

Reaction score
I brewed in Braumeister 50l for the very first time.
Overall the mash program started at 63° for 70min. then it went up 72° and 77° for 5min each. Boiling was 80 min but the temperature was 99°(program set was 102°).
I used 12kg of Premium Pils from Wayerman and 1kg spelt and 500g rice flakes. Yeast is Fermentis Safbrew S-33.

I had problems cooling it since it's veeery hot in here for the moment and the tap water isn't ice cold while going through my counter flow chiller.
I pitched the yeast when the beer was still quite around 25°.

Another problem (I could never thought it would be even an issue) is that I was boiling it with the lid on and then I left a little space when it went over boil.

It's only about 24h in the fermenter and I had an idea to have a sample as I am very curious.

I was expecting strong yeast and maybe some diacetyl but all I got is corn.

I wish someone told me that I'm overreacting but after checking some DMS stuff on the web I realized I did quite all the errors I could possible to have the DMS off flavor.

Of course I will wait and see but the DMS flavor is very obvious and after what I heard it's impossible to get rid of it.

Any suggestions ?

If the lid is on, DMS wont completely boil off. Pils malt produces a lot of DMS, and should be boiled for 90 minutes.

Sometimes, actively fermenting beer, will taste strange. There is hope it is not DMS, and the beer will age clean. But if it is still there when fermentation is complete, I dont know any way to get rid of DMS in a finished beer.

I made an Irish Red, which was my first AG and first full boil, and couldn't get a rolling boil on my stove. I have since gotten a turkey fryer setup and haven't had the problem again. But that Red....DMS city. And it doesn't go away.

I don't know if this would work but maybe you could add a gallon of water to the beer and boil it off for 45 minutes or so depending on your boil off rate. Cool it again and add more yeast. You will obviously kill the original yeast but they should drop out. Don't have any experience with this, just spit balling. Boiling yeast might in itself cause off flavors but it the beer is really that bad it might be worth the experiment unless someone else on here has more yeast knowledge than I do. That won't be too hard!:D

Of course I will wait and see but the DMS flavor is very obvious and after what I heard it's impossible to get rid of it.

Any suggestions ?

There is no way to rid a finished beer of DMS, sorry to say.

You can always call it a Rolling Rock clone, as Rolling Rock is well known for its famous terrible DMS flavor. Otherwise I got nothing'.

Of course, this beer is so young as to really not give any final hint as to what it may end up like, so it's possible that you're just picking up weird fermentation smells and flavors which may be far different than the final beer.

The beer gets worse. I'm thinking either I bottle it and sell as a good example of DMS or I find a way to recover it.

I need some more infos of re-boiling the beer. I mean more details.

The batch is about 40l.

Since the fermenting isn't completly finished there should be some sugars still left. But not enough so I'll throw a can of extract in it. Add some water and boil the DMS out of it.

Am I talking sense ?

Boiling will also remove most (nearly all) of the existing alcohol. The idea of re-boiling early in the ferment is interesting, but if fermentation is nearly finished, I don't see the point. Keep the batch and see how it is in a month or two, or toss it. It might be easier to make a new extract batch than try to salvage this one.

I agree that boiling will remove the alcohol but I was under the impression it was just put in the fermentor. It'll take a day or so just for the yeast to multiply before the party really gets started. Shouldn't be too much alcohol in only two days.

I don't care about the alcohol. I can always add sugar and extracts. I just don't want loose the wort. Unless boiling it again with the yeast won't do anything good to it when it comes to taste.

I normally don't advocate dumping a beer, but DMS is disgusting and pretty much makes a beer unsalvageable and unpalatable in my experience. Since you boiled with the lid on and it was a pilsner malt wort I'm willing to bet money that's your problem.

Learn from your mistakes and try again. I would just dump it and move on.

Boiling a beer with a large quantity of yeast in it I think would be a terrible idea. There is going to be a cooked yeast flavor. And who knows how the fermentation products will break down in the boil. And all the finishing hops will break down as well. Id cut your losses and make a new batch.

Can't help you with reboiling, but you should never mess with your beer while it's fermenting, no matter how curious you are.

just dump it and make it again. take it as a lesson learned.

Or give it a week and see if it still tastes terrible. The OPs friend may be right that he's overreacting after maybe getting a note that tasted to him like corn. I know I've suffered from the same paranoia with my own beers, sometimes warranted sometimes not.

Plus I've never understood how people say that when they taste the wort early on, that it tastes like a concentrated version of what it's going to be. I stopped tasting my wort going into the fermenter, because it tastes terrible to me, and is never anything remotely resembling the final product. Sometimes even after a week, it still tastes awful (to me anyway).

Or give it a week and see if it still tastes terrible. The OPs friend may be right that he's overreacting after maybe getting a note that tasted to him like corn. I know I've suffered from the same paranoia with my own beers, sometimes warranted sometimes not.

Plus I've never understood how people say that when they taste the wort early on, that it tastes like a concentrated version of what it's going to be. I stopped tasting my wort going into the fermenter, because it tastes terrible to me, and is never anything remotely resembling the final product. Sometimes even after a week, it still tastes awful (to me anyway).

You're right, i didn't read the entire OP and now i see hes tasting it very early.

Latest posts

Back