My favorite country songs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Being honest, never heard of the guy until you mentioned him, with the inernet at our finger tips looked him up.

I do like his music and can never resist a good guitar player.

Wait. That might have come out wrong.

Musicians, especially acoustic guitar players I admire a lot.

Check him out, he is touring now and I think he is going to CA next. He does small halls, usually old ones with balconies and such. He has some albums just him solo on guitar no vocals like "Guitar Music" to get an idea of his abilities. But I love his voice, the words he writes and in concert down right makes you laugh with his stories. He has a DVD called "Home and Away" I highly recommend. But go see him is concert..that is how I got hooked 25 years ago. I got my fiancee into him too. Saw him 2x in the last 6 mo. Every time different songs, different stories.

Oh, he is a one man show. Usually just him on records as well. I admire that, to entertain solo.

He has a website with the dates and venues.

;) Yes that link didn't work. Can you tell me what I'm looking for again?

Saginaw Michigan taped on a German TV show. The video usually appears at the frame where he is playing guitar and she is sitting knitting. She plays the girl he sings about. Crazy look in her eyes. Need to play the whole video to appreciate. Leo is not really country though, just done some covers he enjoys. For example he does Bach's Bouree...amazing. Look that up too. I am in fact trying to learn his version now. I play guitar.

Yep, I hope I introduced you to a new artist you will enjoy for many years. :mug:

You have. Please post more. Sharing music is what this thread is about.

Sorry, but it's very late here. I need to hit the sack. I have to work in a few hours.

Look forward to talking more with you about music.

Dan

You have. Please post more. Sharing music is what this thread is about.

Sorry, but it's very late here. I need to hit the sack. I have to work in a few hours.

Look forward to talking more with you about music.

Dan

I forgot to mention an important point...he plays only acoustic 6-12 string and only with his fingers no pick. Leo Kottke LIVE is a good album to get a feel for him...like 30 albums hard to recomend listening I could go on forever.

Well, last summer I went and brought every album he ever released and began listening to them. I came across one song called "Learning the Game" he did. Turns out it is a cover of an old Buddy Holly song that I never heard before. Well Leo's version almost makes me cry I am ashamed to say :eek: but the Buddy Holly version is faster paced and not all that. Funny how someone can put a twist on a song. I know, I am love song/sad song wuss. Easy to find, go listen and tell me he doesn't have a great voice.

Leo talks often about how he tries different things like timing for example. In this song in the break it almost sounds like he messed up but I that is how he plays...kind of leaves you hanging.

I guess if you are looking for country songs I am kind of limited. The Allman Brothers did some great stuff especially back in the days of Duanne Allman, that dude could make some beautiful sounds with a slide. Statesboro Blues (Filmore East Live) Trouble No More and Don't Want You No More are a couple of my favorites. Then there is Lynard Skynard they were good in the day.

I went back over this thread for ideas and saw you are a Johnny Cash fan. Well this is one of my favorite Kottke albums called "Great Big Boy" a rare album where he plays with a band. Not as much a feature of his guitar work as his singing and songwriting. Anyway, back to Johhny Cash, the last song on the album is a cover.

All songs by Leo Kottke except as noted.

"Running Up the Stairs" – 3:16
"The Other Day (near Santa Cruz)" – 2:55
"Great Big Boy" – 3:40
"Driver" – 3:34
"Pepe Hush" – 4:43
"Big Mob on the Hill" – 2:42
"Ice Cream" – 4:36
"Nothin' Works" – 2:54
"Summer's Growing Old" – 2:53
"I Still Miss Someone" (Johnny Cash & Roy Cash, Jr.) – 3:28

Dan??? Did I bore you or did you fall asleep?? Getting late, I guess you hit the sack. Me I work graveyard...I am always up these crazy hours.

I went back over this thread for ideas and saw you are a Johnny Cash fan. Well this is one of my favorite Kottke albums called "Great Big Boy" a rare album where he plays with a band. Not as much a feature of his guitar work as his singing and songwriting. Anyway, back to Johhny Cash, the last song on the album is a cover.

My name is Dan for real. What is yours?

"I Still Miss Someone"

Definitely thoughts in my heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi CW The first link didn't work, the second one sure did.

Thank you for your post. The HW Rowdy Friends one really made my day

Cheers!

Dan

Dan??? Did I bore you or did you fall asleep?? Getting late, I guess you hit the sack. Me I work graveyard...I am always up these crazy hours.

No man you didn't bore me. I just needed some sleep. I work day shift now but I've worked the graveyard shift too for a lot of years.. it's weird. When I went to bed people were just getting up.

Gotta give the respect to the old blues, influenced a lot of country as well as rock n roll. Sonny and Brownie seemed to not be mentioned as much as others, but they were hugely influential.

here they are covering Easy Rider, or See See Rider as it was sometimes called. all about loose women!

Leadbelly doing Where did you sleep last night, also known as the pines and covered by Nirvana.

Scott Biram covering a Mance Lipscomb song, Blues in the Bottle

and Muddy Water's Can't Be Satisfied

CW,

Thank you for the great post!

I'm going to ramble so if it doesn't make sense, it's not suppose to And my rambling might go into race division which I have never understood :eek: !I think I started rambling before that sentence was finished.)

I like the way you combined great music from blacks and whites. Everything you posted was magnificent.

I really wish we all could All just get along, values and traits not divided by the color of another.

I don't get the race card thing. Not at all. People are people, that's it.

WOW. Where the Hel! did that come from?

I see no black man, I see no white man, I see no brown man... I see a man!

well said Dan, couldn't agree more, rambling and all :mug:

And speaking of breaking racial barriers, I can't believe I haven't posted this one yet, Charlie is from my hometown of Helena Montana!!

I'm going to be real honest here. I didn't know Charley Pride was a black man. Always assumed from his voice and country western music he was white.

That is so terrible of me. I don't think of myself as a racist. But maybe I am. My world just opened up a little more today.

I think (and could be wrong) this is the first Charley Pride posted here.

Please post more if you can.

I'm going to be real honest here. I didn't know Charley Pride was a black man. Always assumed from his voice and country western music he was white.

That is so terrible of me. I don't think of myself as a racist. But maybe I am. My world just opened up a little more today.

most people who never saw Charley Pride thought that. I can only imagine what those old southern rednecks back in the day were thinking when they went to see him for the first time and he walked out on stage! haha!!

I am kind of ashamed of not posting it sooner, my dad was a huge Charley Pride fan.

Here he is covering I'll fly away a gospel song, another big influence on country.

Call this narcissistic or whatever.

Going to post a poem I wrote on my day off, about brewing and HBT. The more I read it the more I like it.

If you think I'm feeling a bit insecure and need re-assurance you are correct.

I read it to my wife and she fell asleep.

Today is my day off. I need to mow the yard and do laundry
but here I am again posting quite on the contrary..

I don’t know why because I’m quite a newbie
Felt like writing a poem that was a little bit groovy,
About making brew with a good bit of cheer
Specific gravities close and really clear beer

I love a great beer when I come here to mellow
I seek out kinship and friendship with really cool fellows
This inspiring site from TxBrew is a great place to come to
Especially when life feels like it’s about to give up on you

There is a lot to be said on the Home Brew Talk Thread
Like Old school brewers who post recipes right out of their head
Youngling brewers like me who recently picked up this hobby
Find comfort in postings from Yooper, Revvy and Bobby

Many builders and ingenious brew rig enthusiast on here
Unselfishly speak wisdom they share for less than a beer
I’ve made a few “imaginary friends” on this home brewing site
And sometimes find my self reading and posting late into the night

The DIY threads are especially awesome
And help homebrewer’s build’s come in to full blossom
I’ve tried a few recipes some posted here
And have to say the ones from BierMuncher
are certainly dear

Homebrewing is a passion that runs deep in our blood
We make brew with natural ingredients, not from some from crud
I believe my humble attempt with poetic rhyming is about to run out
It was fun for awhile maybe now time for a stout

So now it is your turn to keep this thing going
Add a verse or two, keep this poem growing

(EDIT 1, from Passedpawn)

Boy works hard, end of his work day,
Another boy down the lost highway,
He gets some grub, something to chew on,
then it's time to get his brew on.

The paths not clear, it never is,
but homebrew boy, he knows his biz
Mash and boil, lauter and chill,
Pitch and wait and keg and fill!

while I'm paying homage to genres of music gotta throw in some bluegrass..... and by that I mean real bluegrass, not the stuff that passes as such today. There was a time when music was real, gritty, and from the heart.

Love the Louvin Brothers, we just lost Charlie a few months back.

the father of bluegrass, Bill Monroe

and of course, another SHB video, along with Possessed by Paul James. This is from the movie the Folk Singer, a definite watch.

This next post is very long. It's about Johnny Cash. His children play a part in it as well as the people who knew him.

It's about and hour long. Understand if you don't watch the entire video

"I'm the Man in BlacK"

a couple of folk songs and singers, another big influence on a lot of country.

Pete Seeger with Johnny Cash, a long one but worth a watch

tired of SHB yet? good, me neither. Here he is covering Woody Guthrie. This one is a standard at his shows, or at least all the ones I have been to.

I have a better video of that one, somewhere... should find it.

Because you assumed he was white?? What if you assumed he was black??

I work with people over the phone for years but have never even seen a picture of them but yet I have a mental image of what I think they would look like. 99% of the time I am wrong but does that make it wrong..of course not. That is silly IMO you think that. But let's not turn this thread into a debate over that...back to the music.

Jim,

Thank you. You're right of course. Thanks for getting keeping this thread on track after I started throwing it off the rails. Thank you friend. -Dan

I think I posted this song earlier but this thread is getting so long don't feel like going back to check cause some of the pages take a very long time to load up. This next song popped into my head even if it isn't country, after Jim's posts.

I like almost all the "old country songs" and was raised on Merle Haggard, Oak Ridge Boys and Hank Williams Jr. I am not a huge fan of country music, especially modern country. I am also not a huge fan of Rap music. However the two combined into what I call "Crap" can be pretty entertaining... Just give it a try before running me out of town...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ymy3bfC0i_U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSlArizRI-E

:tank:

and my personal favorite, also about home brew ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQYYVF6DXS8

:mug:

Love it

Jim, I am a Johnny Cash fan, he just has a special place in my heart and I like posting his songs. But I like all music. This thread is pretty long, it started out with a country theme but I sure have drifted off course on a few of my postings. Please feel free to post any music you enjoy!

The song I Still Miss Someone is a great one. Thanks for posting the songlist. I have to check some of those out. :mug:

Reminiscent of Patsy Cline, Lynda Kay and her haunting voice have been enjoying some well deserved attention from her appearance on the show Justified this season where she was featured singing this song.

Corb Lund is a great lyricist and I've been enjoying a lot of his stuff lately. This is the song that first caught my attention:

There's a good reason why Brent Mason is the most sought studio guitar in Nashville, he's amazing! Check out this Chet Atkins style instrumental.

Molly Gene is wearing boots, so she must be country! YEE HAW! she is insane to watch live.

"Country Roads" Even though I'm not from Virginia, and not everybody is, probably the reason people love this song so much is because it does take you home to earlier days, it does for me that's for sure.

Operator, another great song that brings us home.

Thank you for bringing back great memories Urbanmyth!

In the song,he's actually singin about West Virginia. Since we have our mountain with our sirname on it down in Corely,it means somethin to me. Sure would feel good to go back home again. But like Loretta sings in coal miner's daughter-not much left but the floors...nuthin lives here,anymore. 'Cept the memories of a coal miners daughter. Pop worked in the coal mine down in Angine,WVA,along with my uncles. So that song as well makes me miss goin down home. And for us,it was the Littl Kanowa River. It ran down near the base of the mountain,used to be a lot of sunfish & speckled trout in it. Those songs have a lot of meaning when one knows the meaning. Lil splinter's of the mind's eye...

In the song,he's actually singin about West Virginia. Since we have our mountain with our sirname on it down in Corely,it means somethin to me. Sure would feel good to go back home again. But like Loretta sings in coal miner's daughter-not much left but the floors...nuthin lives here,anymore. 'Cept the memories of a coal miners daughter. Pop worked in the coal mine down in Angine,WVA,along with my uncles. So that song as well makes me miss goin down home. And for us,it was the Littl Kanowa River. It ran down near the base of the mountain,used to be a lot of sunfish & speckled trout in it. Those songs have a lot of meaning when one knows the meaning. Lil splinter's of the mind's eye...

Oops! Sorry about that. I can't believe I left out the "West" in West Virginia to fast typing I suppose. I'll try to back and find the post and correct it. It sound very beautiful.

It's cool,man. I just happened to have memories connected to songs like that. It's a lot like Loretta goin back home & singin about it. They just get me everytime kinda songs. Or like the old timer that played at the Grand Ol Oprey that I worked & drank with when I listen to God is great,beer is good,& people are crazy. Really does remind me of the convwersations over many Buds after work. Asecond heart attack finally took him from us. Mental "photographs & memories". Yet another good songster.

Back