my experimental diy brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zhestovanje

Reaction score
so i took 2 slices of bread and ripped them into little pieces and put them into a 2 liter. i then filled it with some water and shook it up, and strained it into another bottle and put mountain dew in and is now fermenting. after 1 month of fermenting shall this be an alcoholic beverage?

Are you in prison or just really, really curious?

FWIW, I've heard that Mountain Dew will ferment without help if you leave it long enough. It actually contains orange juice.

The yeast in cooked bread is dead so all you really did there is maybe add a few nutrients that yeast might eat.

Why with the rape comparison? Can't we find an equally offensive but less hurtful comparison to make? There's plenty out there to choose from.

Anyway... as far as it being an alcoholic beverage, no doubt there will be some alcohol. But it would be interesting to see what else is produced by the untold number of other micro-organisms that have colonized this beverage.

Or, further down the rabbit hole, is it fermenting under an airlock (i.e. anaerobic conditions)? Many souring bacteria require oxygen to produce their acids. Though I guess yeast don't produce alcohol when it has enough oxygen either...

Sill, I'd expect something somewhere around way worse than licking the inside of a sweaty work-boot.

On the other hand, who's interested in making mountain dew wine? A quick search turned up a specific gravity of 1.046. Who ever thought you'd need to add more sugar to get a decent alcohol content out of it? What yeast would you even try?

Cheers,

Frankly it sounds like it's going to be awful. At best. If it ferments it will be by some random microorganism that may or may not be yeast.

OTOH, here are a couple of recipes for making beer using Mt. Dew. The only drawback I see is that it uses a LOT of Mt. Dew, making it a very expensive novelty beer.

http://beerandwinejournal.com/brewed-with-dew/

Sounds like kvass, but I'd use rye bread and a little sugar instead of the mountain dew. Don't forget the baker's yeast.

so i took 2 slices of bread and ripped them into little pieces and put them into a 2 liter. i then filled it with some water and shook it up, and strained it into another bottle and put mountain dew in and is now fermenting. after 1 month of fermenting shall this be an alcoholic beverage?

it is gonna taste like rape

I just can't help but think this is a troll account and you forgot to sign out and into you other account with it taking 16 minutes for you to reply to yourself :D

I just can't help but think this is a troll account and you forgot to sign out and into you other account with it taking 16 minutes for you to reply to yourself :D

mattd2, FTW!!!! But seriously, who wants to talk about Mt. Dew kvass anyways? :drunk:

Back